Export thread

Need help

C

ccrider2420

Had to change the head gasket on my 22hp craftsman rider engine model #407777. These fell out without me seeing them I'm thinking they are seals that fit on the engine end of the pushrods but would like to hear for sure before I reassemble it. Cant find any diagrams online that show them. See pics. Thanks steve

Attachments

H

hlw49

valve stem seals fit over thhe top of the valve guides.

StarTech

StarTech

Hmmm shouldn't fell out of the cylinder heads so I think the OP brought some after market gasket kit. BTW one of the seals look defective.

C

ccrider2420

Had to change the head gasket on my 22hp craftsman rider engine model #407777. These fell out without me seeing them I'm thinking they are seals that fit on the engine end of the pushrods but would like to hear for sure before I reassemble it. Cant find any diagrams online that show them. See pics. Thanks steve
Thanks for the reply, so I pulled the head to replace the gasket but I didn't remove the valves from the head so not sure how valve seals could have fallen out. Still looks like the hole the engine side of the pushrods is the same size as the seals. Can't believe no engine diagram shows them.

StarTech

StarTech

Post the type number for the 407777.

But is an example from one the 100 407777 engine ipls. Item 868 is only used on the intake valve guide. And are under the valve springs so you have disassemble the valve system to get them to even fall out; otherwise, if they were installed there is no way they can fall out.
1696943541979.png

C

ccrider2420

Post the type number for the 407777.

But is an example from one the 100 407777 engine ipls. Item 868 is only used on the intake valve guide. And are under the valve springs so you have disassemble the valve system to get them to even fall out; otherwise, if they were installed there is no way they can fall out.
View attachment 66971
Yup can't see them falling out since I didn't remove the valves. The model is 407777 type number 0174-e1. I did find the part on a parts website and it does call it a valve seal however like I said didn't remove valves & of course when I pulled the head there's nothing but the valves no seals. If they had come loose they would still been on the valve shift right?.

Attachments

StarTech

StarTech

Right they would still had been on the stems as the metal cups are intact. Someone else must had in there and left them off and toss them in to get off the work bench.

C

ccrider2420

Thanks for the reply, so I pulled the head to replace the gasket but I didn't remove the valves from the head so not sure how valve seals could have fallen out. Still looks like the hole the engine side of the pushrods is the same size as the seals. Can't believe no engine diagram shows them.
Mystery solved. Pulled the head back off and you can see they fit into the holes in the block & the pushrods go through them to the lifter. Ordered two new ones on ebay now it will just be driving the new ones in without tearing them up lol

StarTech

StarTech

In the 14+ yrs I have servicing these engines I have never seen valve stems used at the lifters so you truly got an unique setup.

C

ccrider2420

In the 14+ yrs I have servicing these engines I have never seen valve stems used at the lifters so you truly got an unique setup.
If its weird I'll end up with it lol

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

If its weird I'll end up with it lol
Hope you checked and set valve clearance. I agree with StarTech, in other words, something isn’t adding up.

C

ccrider2420

Hope you checked and set valve clearance. I agree with StarTech, in other words, something isn’t adding up.
Yea it's strange but I removed the valves to make sure the guides weren't slipping out and both valve seals were in place and looked good. This mower has never had any repairs since it was purchased so it's unlikely anyone just threw them in there extra. The holes in the block that the pushrods go into are a perfect snug fit for the seals. Did have one fellow say he had a vw that had seals on the pushrods. Will definately adjust the valves when I get the new seals and reassemble it.
Thanks for the input.

M

mmoffitt

Extra parts.....

H

heyinway

Those seals go on the valve stem under the valve spring on the head....no where else. No small equipment engine uses anything on the pushrods.

C

ccrider2420

Those seals go on the valve stem under the valve spring on the head....no where else. No small equipment engine uses anything on the pushrods.
You are correct! duh my brain finally started working and it dawned on my this was a v-twin, took off the other side and no seals! Now still consider this as strange since this mower was purchased new, has never been in a shop for anything, I can only assume these were thrown in there during the original assembly process.

StarTech

StarTech

That about like finding a shop rag inside an engine last week. It was a miracle it didn't cause any problems.

L

lbrac

If you purchased a head gasket set, could the seals have fallen out unseen when the package was opened? The seals look new; no oil. How well does the pushrod fit the hole in the seal?

B

bertsmobile1

The seals go on the end of the valve guide to prevent oil being sucked into the engine during the induction stroke
Usually the inlet has one and the exhaust does not as when the exhaust valve is open the engine is pushing gasses out
They are installed by putting them inside the smallest socket that they will fit and tapping onto the end of the guide before the valve goes in