Need help with junky new murray spindles

jeffweatherford

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the 2nd time I have replaced spindles and pulleys on my 387002x92d. For some reason I have 1 spindle and pulley that keeps striping the pulley splines. I know it's not because I dont have the pulley tight enough. Here is the part I am using MURRAY 1001200MA and using pulley Murray 092852MA. Can't really figure out what the deal is. Besides this one issue it runs and mows great.

Thanks,

briggs

Threads
check the rest of the pulleys on the deck ...One of the idler pulleys could be out of whack and causing this ...Also make sure there is no slop in the rest of the pulley system

jeffweatherford

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know what that would have to do with the pulley getting stripped out and ruining the jackshaft. Everything seems fine, I just think there is not enough pulley thickness for the spline to engage

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your doing something wrong.

Take the other one apart so you can see how it goes together

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

jeffweatherford

Forum Newbie
Threads
On this particular item there is only one way the sheave can go on. The main reason for this is to see if there is a way to get just the newer model shaft (not the entire spindle) and if there is a better sheave to go with the above item. Just don't really understand why they went away with the tiny (more)splines and went with larger (fewer) splines. Someone google the above part numbers and make sure I am getting the correct items together. Pretty sure I am but want to double check.

Last edited:

briggs

Threads
I don't know what that would have to do with the pulley getting stripped out and ruining the jackshaft. Everything seems fine, I just think there is not enough pulley thickness for the spline to engage

if u have a bad idler and it wobbles it can do allot of stuff that u would not think is possible...I have a Sears crapsman in the shop right now just put spindles in it all new 2 weeks old ......Tore one out already come to find out the idler was going into a wobble and screwed it ...sears and Murray use the same mandrels

jeffweatherford

Forum Newbie
Threads
if u have a bad idler and it wobbles it can do allot of stuff that u would not think is possible...I have a Sears crapsman in the shop right now just put spindles in it all new 2 weeks old ......Tore one out already come to find out the idler was going into a wobble and screwed it ...sears and Murray use the same mandrels

Yep, I believe that might be the culprit. It does have alittle play in it, but I would have never thought it would make a difference. Thanks guys for all the input. I greatly appreciate all of it.