Need help with a bagger!

Mad mama

Forum Newbie
Threads
New here and need some info! Have a Gravely ZT 54XL zero turn mower need a bagger or leaf vacuum something that can handle the debris from 7 (yes 7 ?‍♀️) mature walnut trees and 3 huge great northern pines! Got walnuts and pine cones up the arss and I am sick of raking!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For that type of material you will need to get a "Poo Picker" rather that they typical leaf vacuum.
Poo pickers are made for horses so will not be cheap but they are dead easy to build .
Basically they are leaf blowers bolted into the side of a drum that has a hose at the other end to suck the leaves up with.
As such, what you are sucking up does not go through a blower fan .
Walnut & pin cones destroy through the fan units very quickly.
This web site has a run of them across the top of the page which explains everything better than I can poo vacs
They do work very well I have fixed a lot of them for the equestrians around here
Most just had a GX25 or GX35 powered leaf blower to power the unit
The finger guard on the blower is replaced with a cylinder covered with fine netting
That goes through a hole with a rubber seal around it and is held in with a small strap to prevent it falling out when the engine is not running.
The only difference between a std leaf blower & one of these is they all have a low oil shut off .
One customer used a standard bagger blower fan fitted to an old chicken pellet feeder hopper.
All stuff he bought at a farm clearing auction for next to nothing ,

Last edited:

gotomow

Threads
Your ZTR has been discontinued for awhile so you might check with your dealer to see if a current bagger will work. That or a universal bagger or a tow behind sweeper.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The smart thing to do with the walnuts is to sell them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your ZTR has been discontinued for awhile so you might check with your dealer to see if a current bagger will work. That or a universal bagger or a tow behind sweeper.
Running anything with blades over walnuts is not a good idea, much like mowing gravel
He really will need a tow behind like already mentioned
No idea what Great Northern Pine cones are like but I have visions of WWII had grenades .