need help to purchase new JD

johnorlandi

Threads
Hi guys I need some help in deciding what size JD I will need. In the next few months I intend to purchase a new JD. I have an acer of grass that is flat/slight slope with many cobbled stone curbing for flower beds. I pick up at least 200 bushels or more of mulched leaves every fall. I also have an 18’X100’ 3/8”stone driveway with a 3 car parking area.

Questions? What size tractor (I was thinking an X570 to an X750 but might be a lot big) with a bagger system and should I get a snow blower or a snow blade?

Right now I have an Agco Allis with a 42” snow blower that I extended the cutting edge out past the augers that seems to work but I don’t want to modify a brand new blower.

Any thoughts, I live in RI and we get snow heavy at times.

I intend to go to the local dealer and talk to them but I would like to be little prepared before I go

I am 83 and tired of working on my old equipment

Just read Will 1988 had some good information

Thanks John

D

Deleted member 97405

Hey John, thanks for reaching out. I would suggest the X580 at the minimum because it has hydraulic lift and power steering. You can use the lift to keep the snowblower/blade slightly up off the driveway stones. A front implement makes the steering a bit harder, so for that reason I like the power steering of the X580 versus the manual steering of the X570. If you bought the X570, it has a foot pedal lift system, meaning you'd have to use your foot to hold the front implement up off the stones. I would steer away from the X750(diesel 2WD) unless you prefer diesel. I'd go with the X738(gas,4WD) in that series. The mower deck is drive-over, auto connect, and the 4WD makes getting on and off the deck a breeze. Swapping from mower deck/bagger to snow mode is a breeze. It's gas, liquid cooled, and 4WD. It's the ultimate snow machine, and it would have the largest capacity bagger available for your leaves.
With regards to snow equipment, I'd go with a snowblower for sure. Nothing worse than a snow blade on stones! BUT the blower and blade use the same quick hitch, so you only need to buy just the blade part if you go with the snowblower because you can re-use the hitch. You may have to get a little creative with the skidshoes to keep it from digging in, but it looks like you're already accustomed to that. I still like the X738 in this regards too because it's all shaft drive versus the long belt drive on the 500 series. (nothing worse than blowing a belt in the middle of the job) Hope this helps! FYI, some dealers still may have 2022 stock on hand, which will have a price advantage over 2023 models. The link below will take you to Deere's site, where you can view more info and the brochure. Please reach out if you have any questions!

My suggestion:
X738 w/54 or 60" deck with MC519(Cart) collection system or 3 bag or dump from seat bagger system, and 47" snowblower (54" snowblower is overkill in my opinion, and 48" mower deck is too small)

Last edited by a moderator:

javjacob

Threads
I would look at the X580 or the X590 if you want to spend more. The X570 uses the same light duty steering, front axle, spindles and front wheels as the X300 series. The sector gear steering is a terrible set up for a tractor of that price and caliber and for that reason alone I would pass on the X570. The X580 is well worth the extra money.
The X700 series is better yet but cost more. For what you describe the X580 or X590 would be plenty enough tractor.

johnorlandi

Threads
thank you both javjacob and will1988 I will start looking at the 580 and go from there I went and looked at the Kubota's and it looks like they are hard to get supply is limited and prices go up in January. I have lots of time I just sold my 53 Ford pickup, so I have some money and my Agco Allis is running good but needs constant care. Today or tomorrow, I will go to the JD dealer I want to buy new to get the warrantee for 4 years. I am 83 and this should last my lifetime thanks again John

johnorlandi

Threads
Thank you javjacob and will1988 I am going this morning to put a deposit on a JD X 580 nice tractor I got the 48" mowing deck with vacuum/bags and a 47" snow blower. First mower/tractor purchased new since ever
Thanks for the information it was most helpful. I did look at the Kubota's they were nice BUT liked the JD better and a 4-year 500 hr. warrantee

thanks again

bkeller500

Threads
Maybe it's time to have a service come and do the mowing and snow removal. At your age, you can do some of the light stuff but probably save your money and try a service for awhile and see how it goes.

javjacob

Threads
Maybe it's time to have a service come and do the mowing and snow removal. At your age, you can do some of the light stuff but probably save your money and try a service for awhile and see how it goes.
Why would hitting a certain age stop someone from mowing their yard? Being inactive is the absolute worst thing you can do to your body. Staying active and being outdoors is the best thing for a persons health of any age.

bkeller500

Threads
Why would hitting a certain age stop someone from mowing their yard? Being inactive is the absolute worst thing you can do to your body. Staying active and being outdoors is the best thing for a persons health of any age.
looking at ALL the options is not a horrible idea is it? Only the OP knows his health and stamina and physical condition. Before he plops down $10K all at once, he might find it appealing to have a service quote the mowing and snow removal do the hard part and save his cash for other needs. Yes he may need to remain active but is mowing and snow blowing the activity he needs or possible a gym membership and a health coach would be interesting to him. Mowing and blowing are not exercise programs and will not keep you healthy on their own.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
looking at ALL the options is not a horrible idea is it? Only the OP knows his health and stamina and physical condition. Before he plops down $10K all at once, he might find it appealing to have a service quote the mowing and snow removal do the hard part and save his cash for other needs. Yes he may need to remain active but is mowing and snow blowing the activity he needs or possible a gym membership and a health coach would be interesting to him. Mowing and blowing are not exercise programs and will not keep you healthy on their own.
Actually they do provided he does not sit in a high back chair with arm rests
Bouncing around on a mower seat causes lots of involuntary muscle movements and these are important
Similar to riding a motorcycle or a horse
Not cardio type of work outs or even strengthening but does aid in muscle co-ordination and cramp reduction
Worse thing you can do as you age is sit down & do nothing
Even if you have to lie down for 1/2 an hour to recover, mowing is good exercise