need help timing a kohler k241a

tonyb mowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am trying to rebuild a 1975 210 john deere lawn tractor , I put the new crank in and lined up the mark with the cam, then rotated the engine slowly by hand and set the piston up to top dead center on compression stroke then checked the valves to make sure they were closed . at this setting the points were opened. there is a timing view hole on the engine cover with two marks on the flywheel ( t ) mark and ( s ) mark. the ( t ) mark is lined up with the timing mark. is this all correct or do I have something messed up. thanks for any help as I know I will need it

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the timing mark on the crank and the cam are lined up, and the timing mark on the flywheel is visible through the cover I would say everything is correct. Could be a case that you thought you were on compression stroke but actually were on exhaust stroke. Try turning the crank one complete revolution and recheck the valves to see if they are closed.

the hard part of the whole thing may be setting the correct fire timing on the points.