Need help setup carb and governor v-twin vanguard. Goes full throttle all the time.

128MB

Threads
  • / Need help setup carb and governor v-twin vanguard. Goes full throttle all the time.
I have a cart with 16hp v-twin vanguard.

The good: always starts and sounds great.
With governor disconnected it idles fine and i can rev it like i please by opening the throttle valve.
Carb looks very clean and the gas is only few months old.
New fuel line and new gas tank right above the engine, no pump.

The bad:
with governor attatched it goes full revs and stays there.

I have no idea if all the springs and levers are correct, the engine came like this.

And the carb only has one set screw on top? Turning it in or out makes little difference wile running but it seems to run better with choke.

20200502_161017.jpg20200502_161117.jpg20200502_161024.jpg20200502_161035.jpg

Last edited:

geelee

Threads
  • / Need help setup carb and governor v-twin vanguard. Goes full throttle all the time.
everything looks right, in the 4th picture you have a good view of governor arm. loosen the clamp bolt around shaft with screwdriver slot. move arm to full throttle and hold, now turn shaft in same direction until it stops. it wont move far. tighten the clamp bolt. governor in now set. now start engine, if it still overrevs you have an internal governor gear problem

128MB

Threads
Governor arm was fine.I did set the governor like u said before, i found a video about it a while ago.
When starting the engine it goes all the way out (clockwise) and pulls the throttle valve open.
With force i can push it down and try and calm the engine but that easily stalls it.

I'm hoping its not internal, its a serious pain the ass to get the engine out and i did not intent on rebuilding it :/
If 'd have to do that and its my first time ever workin on these i bet its going to cost me years to finish and just sell it for scrap.
took me weeks just to mount the engine properly and now 6 months later its still not driving.

Last edited:

geelee

Threads
sounds like its internal, have seen quite a few times its the pin the governor gear rides on spun in block , supposed to be pressed in. not really fixable

128MB

Threads
Dangerous to keep it running like that ? For now im gonna disconnect the arm like now and try not to overrev it :D