Need help picking new self-propelled walk behind mower

wonderfrog

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need help picking new self-propelled walk behind mower
Hi folks. Everybody else asks this question...but I need the advice so I will ask also.

We have a small (<1/3 acre) city lot in South Texas and need a new self propelled mower. We tend to bad more than mulch as our yeard is the local mix of St. Augustine and tiffway bermuda 419 and makes a real mess after rains when the bermuda clippings float to the surface and leave streaks on the lawn.

Our old mower, a John Deere re-branded as Scotts, is about 11 years old and is starting to give up the ghost. It likes to start after 2 to 4 pulls when cold, but when you turn it off to empty the bag, it can take 12-15 pulls to get it going again. It does eventually get started, but when it is 97 degrees out, 12-15 pulls feels like a death sentence to a tired, hot and sweaty operator. Also it used to be a 3 speed, it likes one speed now...and the list goes on...so it is time to shop.

Please help me pick with advice. Model I looked at in no particular order are:

Honda HRX217HXA for $699 at Home Depot...unfortunately Honda lists the closest service center at about 1.5 hours drive away...but I think a small local shop does some Honda repairs...but no local dealer

Gravely LM21SW with Kawasaki motor with oil filter for $779 at local dealer (dealer said they would pay tax and maybe take a trade on the old mower). Built like a tank, but weighs like one too. Swivel wheels...are these really useful?

Toro 20197 for $689. Honda motor but 160 cc vs the above Honda with 190cc. This and Honda have blade break...but dealer says it wears out quickly...but I usually bad the clippings...

Toro 20092 for $569. B&S motor. Dealer really pushed this one over bagger model with Honda motor

Snapper P216020KWV (7800557) with Kawasaki motor (no oil filter) for $709 at local dealer. Bragged about drive mechanism...but doesn't Gravely have the same drive mechanism?

Too many options...need help...

Thanks in advance

p.s. I also posted this in the new member area by mistake...sorry for the double posting

SirJohn

Threads
  • / Need help picking new self-propelled walk behind mower
I don't have much knowledge and experience with any of these, but I can tell you that the Kawasaki engine is a real, light commercial engine and is built more solidly. The GCV series Honda engines on the models you listed are Honda's lowest level residential motors and the B&S on that Toro is the same cheap flathead that you find on the $200 MTD mowers you see everywhere. However, with that size of lawn and given residential use, all the engines will be perfectly fine given proper maintenance. The B&S is ancient tech but they are cheap and easy to fix if you do it yourself. If you were mulching a lot, I'd definitely say go with the Kawasaki or Honda 190cc because the self-propelled drives use a bit of power so you need that extra oomph. All I've read about the Snapper drives is that they are easy to fix, but they break frequently. And any reliability rankings I've seen seem to back that up. The Gravely is made by Ariens so its the same model as the Ariens LM21SW. I hadn't heard that Ariens uses Snapper drives but I suppose its possible. If you don't want the Swivel wheels, the LM21S version uses the standard wheels instead.

I know I haven't been much help. If it was me, my gut would be saying go with the Honda, especially with that 5 year warranty, though it would be nice to give the money to a local business rather than Home Depot.