Need Help new ZTR??

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Djdicetn, I have looked at alot of mower myself and weed some out like hustler due to fact of dealer I bought a snapper from them last year and people must have been messing with self propel handle with not running and screwed and it up I took it in for them to fix iot under warranty and they didn't want to fix it right so I ended up spending another $100.00 on the mower and fixed it myself, and I don't want to have a $5000-$7000 dollar item and have trouble get warranty done on it he also sells Dixon. Also my other dealer that sells Kubota and Badboy I can't even get prices out of them for the mower I want and same goes for John Deere dealer here, If I can't even get good service to buy I can't imagine how service would be for fixing a mower. With all that being said I bought Stihl equipment from my Gravely dealer and there very professional and have been in business for a long time and I know there not going no where. I really appreciate your input. How do you like your Gravely? Does the hydraulics seem strong? Motor seem to have enough HP? Are the hydraulics sloppy at all? Thank you again!!

Ryan

RDKLawn,
Like you said at the beginning.....there are a LOT of good commercial-grade ZTR's out there and the other brands being mentioned fall into that category. I did not look at the Ferris line but have heard good things about them(I don't know about the Ferris prices but it seems like they are similar to the Wright's that I did look at, but the Wright's were way out of my "budget"). My Gravely dealer also carries Scaggs which again are top-of-the-line commercial mowers, but they too exceeded the amount of money I was willing to spend. On the spindles....my Gravely's XL cast-iron spindles(with a solid 1" shaft) are NOT greasable(sealed bearings) and it took a lot of discussion to convince me to not look for spindles with grease fittings. But something I learned during the analysis of different mowers was that MANY mowers that have greasable mandrels "have sealed bearings" and the manufacturer gives owners a "placebo effect feeling" that the owners are "maintaining the bearings" by religiously greasing them when in fact they are filling the spindle housing "around the bearings" with grease and none of that grease EVER touches a ball bearing. Ask around while you are shopping and some of the "honest" dealers will "fess up" with a somewhat red face that their "greasable spindles" do NOT extend the life of the ball bearings. After I found that out(and because the Gravely had a 3year warranty on the spindles) I became more comfortable with buying a high-dollar machine without greasable mandrels!!!! Now to answer some of your questions...I've only got 6 hours on my Gravely but so far I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! It is VERY "solid"(hydraulics, deck and mower materials/construction) and has plenty of power with just a 22hp Kawasaki FX691V(horsepower ain't "everything"). Also, my old Craftsman 54" lawn tractor needed a mulch kit to keep from leaving huge piles of grass clippings and I was going to get one for the Gravely. My dealer told me to "wait until you have used it first" because this ZTR is in a different class of machines(blade tip speed) than that lawn tractor. I've mowed my yard(a little over an acre) about 10 times and have yet to see the first grass clipping when done(without a mulch kit). Also, I really HATED having to clean the grass clippings and dirt buildup from under my Craftsman lawn tractor's deck after mowing every time(if I didn't it would most likely throw a belt next time I used it). When I'm done mowing with the Gravely and look underneath at the inside of the deck......I see a "green stain" but not the first sign of clumps of grass clipping and dirt buildup. I love that about it too. Now, the bottom line(which if you are like me is the MOST important)....and that is cost. My 2012 Gravely's MSRP was $7199 plus tax(approximately $7,782.93). I offered my dealer $6,800 "out-the-door" with me picking it up and he didn't even hesitate to accept my offer(that's almost $1,000 off!!!). As I understand it, the 2013 Pro-Turn 152 has gone up to $7,499 MSRP( which even makes my deal $300 sweeter). Of course I was fortunate to have the money to "pay cash" from an early retirement employer buyout that I had set back which helped me "negotiate" a better "out-the-door" sales price. But what I'm saying is don't be afraid to offer a dealer 10-15% less than his first asking price and go from there. Hope I've helped some more with this info.

NeverGiveUp

Threads
I just got a Gravely Pro Turn 52 and I love it! I think you made an excellent choice! I was going to get the PT152 but settled comfortably into the entry level commercial rig. I went in with cash as well and negotiated with the guy, he was receptive and yadda yadda, I bought the mower. I think these mowers are built to last and I'm happy with my 2013 model. Congrats on your Gravely.

scott47429

Threads
like i said before there are alot of great mowers out there and everyone that has one has the brand they like and im the same way how ever when i went looking for one i had my dealer bring me diffrent ones and ended up buying the Exmark not just because it was the bigger one but it also did a better job on the yard and held on hills alot better then the others how ever i wish it was a 60 inch deck then a 72 but im not going to gripe about it but if you buy for a dealer and i would see if he will let you test drive diffrent ones before you buy mine did and alot of them will and to answer your question Ryan no i havent had any problems with my Exmark at all and i love it cant wait for the grass to get growing

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
like i said before there are alot of great mowers out there and everyone that has one has the brand they like and im the same way how ever when i went looking for one i had my dealer bring me diffrent ones and ended up buying the Exmark not just because it was the bigger one but it also did a better job on the yard and held on hills alot better then the others how ever i wish it was a 60 inch deck then a 72 but im not going to gripe about it but if you buy for a dealer and i would see if he will let you test drive diffrent ones before you buy mine did and alot of them will and to answer your question Ryan no i havent had any problems with my Exmark at all and i love it cant wait for the grass to get growing

scott47429,
The fact that your ZTR is a 2003 model, you still love it and have no major problems with it is a pretty good testament to the quality of an Exmark Lazer Z XP!!! How many hours have you got on that puppy?

locolupe77

Threads
Hi, I am looking to buy a new ZTR mower to mow about 5 acres a week. Right now have a Husqvarna Tractor 2454 54" deck not a bad mower but would like to get a entry level commercial ZTR and there are so many out there. I have been looking at the engines and transmissions and warranty but is there any big differences in deck spindles or all of them about the same or any other that i'm over looking. Any input will be appreciated!! I kinda narrowed it down to the following mowers:

Gravely Pro turn 52 (2013 first season for them they are between the ZTHD and pro turn 100) Hydro Gear ZT-3200 exclusive for Gravely Kawasaki FS Series

Gravely Pro turn 152 Hydro gear ZT-3400 Kawasaki FX Series

Dixie Chopper Magnum 52 either 2250 or (2350EFI Kohler EFI) Hydro Gear ZT-3400 Kawasaki FS Series
Exmark Pioneer S 52 Kohler or 48 Kawasaki Hydro Gear ZT-3100 Kawasaki FX Series Kohler Command Pro

Exmark Lazer Z E 52 Kawasaki Parker unitized pump and motor exclusive for exmark similar to Hydro Gear ZT-3400 I believe Kawasaki FX Series

Ferris IS700Z 52 Kawasaki Hydro Gear ZT-3400 Kawasaki FS Series

Hey, I tested the Dixie Chopper Magnum with the Kawasaki engine and 48" cut and it was a beast. Fast as hell, I am no expert since I am just getting into the lawncare business this spring, but I can tell you that the Magnum felt just right. I bought a Dixie Chopper Zee 1 2342, but if my business goes well I will upgrade to a Magnum or the next step up which would be the Silver Eagle.