Need help IDing this Kohler engine/whats wrong with the charging system

tkos115

Threads
  • / Need help IDing this Kohler engine/whats wrong with the charging system
So I suppose this is a two part question... My first question is, is there any way to ID this engine if the tags are all either torn, faded, or missing? Unfortunately the tags on the actual mower are also ruined or gone. I included a few pics of the engine, but it's a twin cylinder fuel injected Kohler engine. The original owner thought it was build around 2005ish but no way to tell for sure. Does anyone have any ideas? I might be overlooking the obvious and the info might be there I see it says cv26s so maybe thats all I'll need?

My second question is how can I determine what is wrong with the charging system?

What I've done so far:
-Verified battery voltage to the middle wire on the rectifier/regulator matches battery volts. (Which it does, no voltage drop, fuse is good)
-Tested engine grounds and verified rectifier is grounded good. (It is, ohm meter showed 0.1)
-Checked for A/C voltage from stator wires at rectifier when running. (Was showing no output)
-Next I pulled the flywheel and found that all the magnets on the flywheel had fallen off and were sticking to the stator. None of them were broken and I was able to epoxy them back into place. (I made sure to set them where they were originally and spaced them evenly, I can't say they are perfect like the factory but pretty darn close, and I also made sure the were all set the same way they would have been and not flipped the other way).
-After reinstalling the flywheel and running the engine at full speed, I was getting at best 12.30 volts a/c from the stator and 5.25 volts d/c output from the rectifier. (obviously not enough)

Does this sound like a junk stator, or is it possible that the magnets just aren't set correctly? Is there a way to test the stator another way? My opinion is that the stator is bad but I want to make sure. If it is a bad stator I will order one but my problem is still getting the right one since the engine numbers are missing.

Thanks for your time and help all!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 8
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 8
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the full model & serial number off the mowers ID tag
Some of the members here have trade access to the "secret" sections of dealers web so can tell what engine was originally fitted to which mowers.
AFAIK only 3 stators for Kohlers and all will interchange as the mounting points remained the same
Have a look at this video from Taryl fixes all
The meat starts at about 6 minutes in Note particularly the testing of the polarity of the magnets
From what you have written either the stator is damaged or you have got the magnets around the wrong way so only 1 pair are creating power

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model CV26S
Specification number 79510
serial number 105908841

Stator part number 28 085 02-S

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Regulator is 25 403 32-S

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post the full model & serial number off the mowers ID tag
Some of the members here have trade access to the "secret" sections of dealers web so can tell what engine was originally fitted to which mowers.
AFAIK only 3 stators for Kohlers and all will interchange as the mounting points remained the same
Have a look at this video from Taryl fixes all
The meat starts at about 6 minutes in Note particularly the testing of the polarity of the magnets
From what you have written either the stator is damaged or you have got the magnets around the wrong way so only 1 pair are creating power
Who is this guy Taryl does he not know if you turn the magnet around the poles are reversed

tkos115

Threads
Thanks for the help everyone, I figured I'd post the fix and unfortunately I made a stupid mistake and put the magnets on wrong. I ended up sourcing a used flywheel and that fixed the issue. But better to make sure of the problem than to throw parts at it. Charges great now though hah.. :rolleyes: