Need help fast grass is outrunning me, Model SSZ 22CV

Turboscag

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need help fast grass is outrunning me, Model SSZ 22CV
I have a an old Scag SSZ 22CV with a 52" deck. The belt for the hydro pumps broke and I got another but its too long. Ive double checked part number 48760 and its the right number. Ive compared the belt length on other brands of belts that cross reference this number and they are the same. I'm not routing incorrectly as there is only one way it will work. It starts with the tensioner pulley at the dop, drops down to the pump pulleys then 90* back to the motor shaft pulley. The belt is long so long I can get almost wrap it arount the tensioner pulley twice. I cant figure out what I'm over looking here? Help is greatly appreciated.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get the model name, number and serial number off your machine and go to the Scag website and download the correct manuals for your specific machine. Both operators and parts manuals are there for most machines.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just looked at the operators manual for your machine. The V belt comes from the engine drive pulley, forward and under the hydro pulleys with a 90 degree twist in opposite directions and twist back as it passes over the tensioner pulley. I always compare the old V belt with the new one for general length before I install the new one. If the belt isn't broken I take some pics of the V belt run before I remove it.

Last edited:

Turboscag

Forum Newbie
Threads
The old belt got shredded before I got everything shut down. Thats what I get for not being preventative. I already had the manual for the mower and thats where I got the part number from. Something definately isnt right about all of this. I have the belt on just like the manual shows and the twists dont come anywhere near taking up all the slack. I put the belt on the shaft first, up around the pump pulleys and over the tensioner pulley. There is still a good 8 inches of slack. I've called the dealers and they are no help. I got on the website to call Scag and they dont have a number available. I guess ill get some twine and measure the route and try to find a counter person who is willing to dig through belts to find one that fits. This is crazy. Makes me think Scag has used that belt number for a different belt now.

Just to rule out wrong part number, I downloaded every manual that covers the model SSZ. They all have the same part number for the belt and are all routed identical.

Ok...I just measured this belt and its 75". It says right on the sleeve that it replaces a 61 7/8" belt......LOL. Those guys at Oregon (thats the brand belt I bought) don't know what they are doing or I am missing something here.

Last edited:

bfcg

Threads
Yes, I think you are missing something. I am nt gonna tell you what I usually do because that is not gonna help you now. I think that you will learn something from without a sermon. The twine idea is a good one but if you have the peices of the old belt, that might be better. The part is a "consumable" buy 2 when once you have it fiogured out. Good luck.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need a Scag specific part numbered V belt!!!!:confused2::confused2::confused2:
A Scag V belt with a Scag part number of 48760 is 61.5 inches in length and probably 5/8" in width and probably segmented.
A V belt with an Oregon generic part number of 48760 is a 76 inch long belt with a 1/2" width.
You took the Scag part number and ended up with a generic V belt.
Apples and oranges so to speak.
The Scag part number, 48760, may cross reference to the same type V belt by other manufacturers but it would be the same size as the Scag specific part number 48760.

Turboscag

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the Oregon cross referenced belt is way longer then the Scag. I alterted Oregon to the situation and they confirmed they are putting the wrong belt to that Scag part number and said they will send me two sets of blades to offset all the fuel wasted picking up and returning their belt. I live 20 miles from anywhere. How ever they needed my Scag blade part number so I wonder what blade Ill wind up with. :laughing:

I finally got the right belt. Grass is cut :thumbsup:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are many aftermarket blades available and I use the Stens ones. I buy them in packages of 12 for my Scag 48" deck, but my deck calls for a higher lift blade than the older decks. Do a google search with your blade Scag P/N and you will come up with several aftermarket part numbers that are available for your machine. I usually go thru the entire 12 blades in a season here in rocky, rooty, stumpy, and hilly New England. Most of my lawn customers have lawns that other lawn guys pass on!!! I use a collection system and will only do customers where I can dispose of the collected stuff on their properties or nearby.