Need help deciding on which lawn mower to get ?

Natosha Jacobs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a handheld light tool that can be used to mow lawns? I have never had a lawn and am looking for a smaller sized tool to get narrow grass pathways and smaller lawn areas mowed......any ideas are appreciated!

Born2Mow

Threads
Welcome Aboard !

Your intended use is somewhat unclear.

>> If you are simply going to cut a swath for a pathway rather than a full lawn, then I'd suggest a string trimmer (what some people call a "weed whacker"). This is a motorized device that twirls a short piece of very tough nylon at ground level. These will cut a nice 12" diameter through most any plant life. People like them because the flexible string allows you to cut right up against the home, rocks, fences, etc without damage to the trimmer or the other object. Since a lawn mower can't get closer than 2", they are also the perfect companion tool when you need to finish up close to the same list of immovable objects. These are light and easy to handle. My wife loves hers.

>> However, if you have a true lawn, a rolling "lawn mower" is the best way to get an even cut across the entire yard. That way you'll have your best looking results and it's actually healthier for the lawn. Trying to mow a yard with a string trimmer will leave your yard looking like a 5 year-old who did his own haircut.

With either tool I would most probably look for a battery-powered electric model. These don't make as much power as a gasoline model, but will require hundreds less in maintenance each year, and won't be nearly the fire hazard that keeping gasoline in the home represents.

The down-side to electric is that you will usually need replacement battery packs at some point. If you go with a cheap, no-name store special, then battery packs may be non-existent in 6 months. Stick with a dealer and brand name you can trust.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a handheld light tool that can be used to mow lawns? I have never had a lawn and am looking for a smaller sized tool to get narrow grass pathways and smaller lawn areas mowed......any ideas are appreciated!

1611007695918.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take a serious look at a good brand cordless electric mower. They are narrower, easy to maneuver and may fit your situation best.