Export thread

Need Advice on Mower/ATV Lift...

T

Travis_R

Hello to all,

I haven't posted much on this site, but now I have a question that I'd like some advice on.

I'm thinking seriously of going to Harbor Freight in the morning and buy the "High Lift Riding Mower/ATV Jack", item #61523.
It's rated for a 300 lb. lift capacity and I was wondering if anyone would recommend this for my Hustler Super Z. It's a 2009 model with the 31 hp Kawasaki and a 60" XR7 deck. I know it's a heavy mower that's why I'm concerned. The front tires will safely fit on the lift because the tires are about 47" outside to outside and the lift's tire width adjustment goes from 36" to 51".
I can get this lift for under $75 and that price can't be beat. And I know there are much better built lifts on the market, but I believe most of us likes a good deal too. I know I do.

Anybody got any experience wit this lift? I'd appreciate for owners to comment. I have seen very good reviews on this lift.
Thanks

Attachments

davbell22602

davbell22602

T

Travis_R

Thanks. I just read that thread. I really am thinking hard about going to HF and getting that lift. After all, they got a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee.

I also see that you're an Amsoil dealer. I'm in the preferred customer 'program'. For years I've been using Amsoil in everything I own. I recently convinced a few friends to start using it in their ATVs and they love it. Wouldn't go back to regular crude oil anymore. I am a firm believer in that oil!

davbell22602

davbell22602

Thanks. I just read that thread. I really am thinking hard about going to HF and getting that lift. After all, they got a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee.

I also see that you're an Amsoil dealer. I'm in the preferred customer 'program'. For years I've been using Amsoil in everything I own. I recently convinced a few friends to start using it in their ATVs and they love it. Wouldn't go back to regular crude oil anymore. I am a firm believer in that oil!

Let me know how the HF lift works for ya. I might get one too.

I use the XL oil in truck and 4 stroke oil in my personal riding mowers.

T

Travis_R

Let me know how the HF lift works for ya. I might get one too.

I use the XL oil in truck and 4 stroke oil in my personal riding mowers.

Sure will... I use both those oils the same way too.

T

tybilly

I have that model,ofcourse I bought it before it dropped to 75.00,my first one the jack failed,but I took it back and got another onea nd the seconed one works just fine,just follow their directions and always use that safety pin

Ric

Ric

Like davbell said read the other thread. The mojack may cost a little more money but it's well worth the extra IMO.

B

Brucebotti

I have had the HF on since mid 2013 and I like it. I use it to raise the front of my Toro MX5060 ZTR and it does a great job. It is built much better that I would have expected. In my opinion it is equal in quality to the other units I've seen with the same 300# capacity. I got it on sale for $79 and I was able to use a 20% off coupon.
Bruce

T

Travis_R

Here is my Personal Experience with the Harbor Freight mower lift Item #60395:

Don't let the cheap price fool you.

I ended up buying the HF lift yesterday. The directions are not that good, but once it's laid out common sense goes a long way. Plus there is a good video on YouTube on assembly...
Only took about 20 minutes to assemble, with a small crescent wrench or pliers for 1 small bolt that attaches the foot pedal to the jack that enables the lift to rise.

I have a problem with the bottle jack (slow and spongy on the bottom) and I'll return just the jack if possible, but if not I'll return the whole lift itself and exchange it for a new one. But as of now, I'm happy with this unit and have no regrets.

It's rated at a 300 lb. lift capacity but WILL lift up the front of a 2009 Hustler Super Z! (Impressing!) It weighs A TOTAL OF 1,112 LBS. It'll lift it all the way up til the plastic roller wheels under the rear of the machine touch the ground.

Do I recommend this lift? YES! Do I recommend others using the lift at this extreme capacity? NO. Use at your own risk.
But I will say it works for me, FOR MY OWN PERSONAL USE!

I don't think this unit is made as heavy duty as some other brands on the market, although I haven't seen other brands in person. But I don't think you're gonna find another brand out there for less than $70 that's comparable to the HF lift.
I think this unit was manufactured more towards residential/homeowner use, but I'll also recommend it for commercial use. If you're not satisfied you can return it within 90 days for a full refund as long as you have the original receipt.

What is there to lose?

Attachments

davbell22602

davbell22602

Here is my Personal Experience with the Harbor Freight mower lift Item #60395:

Don't let the cheap price fool you.

I ended up buying the HF lift yesterday. The directions are not that good, but once it's laid out common sense goes a long way. Plus there is a good video on YouTube on assembly...
Only took about 20 minutes to assemble, with a small crescent wrench or pliers for 1 small bolt that attaches the foot pedal to the jack that enables the lift to rise.

I have a problem with the bottle jack (slow and spongy on the bottom) and I'll return just the jack if possible, but if not I'll return the whole lift itself and exchange it for a new one. But as of now, I'm happy with this unit and have no regrets.

It's rated at a 300 lb. lift capacity but WILL lift up the front of a 2009 Hustler Super Z! (Impressing!) It weighs A TOTAL OF 1,112 LBS. It'll lift it all the way up til the plastic roller wheels under the rear of the machine touch the ground.

Do I recommend this lift? YES! Do I recommend others using the lift at this extreme capacity? NO. Use at your own risk.
But I will say it works for me, FOR MY OWN PERSONAL USE!

I don't think this unit is made as heavy duty as some other brands on the market, although I haven't seen other brands in person. But I don't think you're gonna find another brand out there for less than $70 that's comparable to the HF lift.
I think this unit was manufactured more towards residential/homeowner use, but I'll also recommend it for commercial use. If you're not satisfied you can return it within 90 days for a full refund as long as you have the original receipt.

What is there to lose?

i doubt I would return over bottle. Id just find another bottle jack that will work in its place instead. Like I said mine would be shipped to me. Does it over work bench for it to work on push mowers?

Carscw

Carscw

Did you check the oil in the jack and bleed the air out ?

T

Travis_R

Did you check the oil in the jack and bleed the air out ?

Yes and even added some 30 wt. motor oil ((and I know this is wrong but it's all I had and thought it might work)). Ended up blowing rubber fill plug out the side of jack and got oil all I've me and the floor.
Anyway, I guess I should have checked the oil before I tried to use it...

T

Travis_R

i doubt I would return over bottle. Id just find another bottle jack that will work in its place instead. Like I said mine would be shipped to me. Does it over work bench for it to work on push mowers?
With the 90 day guarantee, I'm just gonna return the bottle jack and get a replacement, or the whole lift if they prefer. Doesn't matter to me. Not buying something else when there's no need.

It does not come with a work 'table', nor is there one you can buy. But I don't think it would take much to make something that would work if one has the materials and ability.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I wonder if the Mojack work bench attachment one on the northern tool would work on the HF mower lift?

T

Travis_R

After contacting HF, they said I have to bring the whole unit back and exchange it out for a new one or get a refund of my money. I'm just gonna exchange it out because I'm happy with the product.

Ric

Ric

I wonder if the Mojack work bench attachment one on the northern tool would work on the HF mower lift?

I seriously doubt it, they will be different sizes as well as attaching differently. In fact the work bench doesn't fit all of the Mojack lifts without the sled inserts that comes with it. I believe it only fits the EZ and with the sled inserts the Pro.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I seriously doubt it, they will be different sizes as well as attaching differently. In fact the work bench doesn't fit all of the Mojack lifts without the sled inserts that comes with it. I believe it only fits the EZ and with the sled inserts the Pro.

Kinda figured that. Just thought I ask.

Ric

Ric

Kinda figured that. Just thought I ask.

The Mojacks are all different sized tubular steel and different lifting mechanisms giving them different lifting capacity's. They range for 300Lb up to 750lbs that includes the EZ Max the MJ Series and the XD model Mojack makes for John Deere. Also keep in mind the Work bench has a max load of 200LBS.

T

Travis_R

Ok folks, I figured it'd be only right for me to come back and post...

I'm taking the Harbor Freight mower lift back. I think it's well worth the price, FOR THE RATED 300 LB. LIFT CAPACITY. I would for sure buy this lift over any other lift out there with same lift capacity rating. It lifted my 1988 John Deere 160 riding mower all the way up like it was nothing to it. But when it can to my Super Z, that was a different story. It would not lift it all the way up and felt like the bottle jack was straining or something. It never leaked down but I just didn't trust being underneath the lift, exceeding the lift capacity.
I have always tried to be as safe as possible. On the job or off the job. When I'm in a vehicle I wear my seatbelt religiously. So why take a chance being under a mower? There is no difference in my opinion.

After shopping around, I ended up ordering the MoJack Pro online from Home Depot, at a significantly discounted price. Got it today and assembled it. It is way better built than the HF model, but you pay for it too. I could have went with the MoJack XT model and would have been fine, but decided on the Pro because it wasn't that much more money and you get 250 lbs. more lift capacity.

Just like the lift from HF, I also recommend the MoJack. But If someone was to ask if I thought the MoJack is overpriced, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Yes is my answer, especially with the high delivery fees these days.

B

Brucebotti

Ok folks, I figured it'd be only right for me to come back and post...

I'm taking the Harbor Freight mower lift back. I think it's well worth the price, FOR THE RATED 300 LB. LIFT CAPACITY. I would for sure buy this lift over any other lift out there with same lift capacity rating. It lifted my 1988 John Deere 160 riding mower all the way up like it was nothing to it. But when it can to my Super Z, that was a different story. It would not lift it all the way up and felt like the bottle jack was straining or something. It never leaked down but I just didn't trust being underneath the lift, exceeding the lift capacity.
I have always tried to be as safe as possible. On the job or off the job. When I'm in a vehicle I wear my seatbelt religiously. So why take a chance being under a mower? There is no difference in my opinion.

After shopping around, I ended up ordering the MoJack Pro online from Home Depot, at a significantly discounted price. Got it today and assembled it. It is way better built than the HF model, but you pay for it too. I could have went with the MoJack XT model and would have been fine, but decided on the Pro because it wasn't that much more money and you get 250 lbs. more lift capacity.

Just like the lift from HF, I also recommend the MoJack. But If someone was to ask if I thought the MoJack is overpriced, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Yes is my answer, especially with the high delivery fees these days.

Travis,
Thanks for the excellent, unbiased review. I went with the Harbor Freight unit since my Toro MX5060 is lighter than your mower. I can lift the front end up a few inches, so I figured the HF unit would be fine. I would never use it and exceed the 300# limit. I think you made a wise choice going with the unit you ended up with.
Bruce