Need advice on garden tractor ground engaging

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My ole' Craftsman 2004 dyt 4000 does not have the backbone or trans to use the cultivator, rake, disc, sleeve hitch implements. I need to rip out my front 1/3 acre of weeds and plant grass over my drain field. I finally got a quote from a pro which knocked me on my tush $7500. I do not need a new rider for mowing as the dyt 4000 runs great -I need something to work the ground. So maybe members can advise . I am actively reading the equipment forum also. Here are some considerations.

1. figure low end only 'cause I need the head space from around $3000 to buy supplies.
2. Leery of Briggs stuff, but some of you say they have improved
3. Leery of new Kohler because new V is unproven
4. Leaning toward Kaw without lsd because not offered with Kaw
5. Just brainwashed (somewhat) by poitive raves on "todaymower.com" whose author pushes the Craftsman GT 5500 /GT 6000, calling them best of low end at a price. This blog
states look for strong trans unit like K58, G750, K66. Apparently my dyt4000 with its itty bitty tires (20") has a K46 Tuff-Torq and not up to the task with small axles.
6. Can the dyt4000 be upgraded with the better transmissions (finding them impossible?)?

Your experience and advice greatly appreciated

Last edited:

gfp55

Threads
Do you have to buy new or will used be OK. You can get something used with attachments like tiller, plow, etc. as a packaged deal for the money you are talking about.
Buying upgrades for the tractor you have now is not a good idea because the tractors frame, front axles, etc are still not as strong for ground engaging attachments. You may want to check out some used in your area and see if you can live with that. You may be surprised with what is out there.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
gpf, Thanks for the reply. I have looked on "iron search" and other sites. Seems like I would like a water cooled unit after the problems with the Intek, but they are $8-$10k and up for used. But after the "one shot" usage I really would not need such a good tractor. Also the compact tractors are a lot heavier than a rider and I do not know at what weight compaction of the drain field becomes an issue. The vendor told me he will use "walk behind" equipment. He has requoted lower to me by eliminating the initial sand/soil step (reduced by $2K). I may go with that.

1striper1

Threads
You aren't any where near me but in my region there are many used, low hours, John Deere garden tractors that are very capable of running ground engaging equipment. The 5xx and 7xx series are very popular. HD hydro's where the fluid can be changed. The Deere's also have Kawasaki built engines (some liquid cooled) which in many peoples eyes are the #1 small engine out there.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
striper, Thanks, out here it's Kubota mainly and not a bad brand I guess. I noticed on ironsearch that most of the good used compacts seem to be plains states, Mn Wisc Ill and Canada. Perhaps I should look at JD. There is a big dealer nearby but I was turned off years ago by the experience. I have read the lower end of JD is no better than big box junkies (like I own:laughing:)

1striper1

Threads
striper, Thanks, out here it's Kubota mainly and not a bad brand I guess. I noticed on ironsearch that most of the good used compacts seem to be plains states, Mn Wisc Ill and Canada. Perhaps I should look at JD. There is a big dealer nearby but I was turned off years ago by the experience. I have read the lower end of JD is no better than big box junkies (like I own:laughing:)

Kubota by all accounts is a solid choice. I don't know what it is about JD dealers but I have the same feelings for the two big JD dealerships in my region. It's like their sheet don't stink and they know it too. Doing what I do for a living, I just HATE that attitude!!!!

When you say the word "compact" are you referring to a sub compact utility tractor aka SCUT? Now I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish other than your description but maybe a SCUT is overkill? Plus can you get a decent used SCUT on your budget? I mentioned the JD 7XX series also a 4XX series would be a good choice as well. But you would have to make sure that you can get the attachments you need to do the job.

Another thought.....what about renting a tractor with a Harley (or similar brand) rake and do the tilling with that? Or find somebody that'll just Harley rake the area and you do the rest yourself?

I THINK I'm in the same boat as you....what landscaping folks there are around here are so busy that they can charge whatever they want. If I say "that's too much" they just shrug and say "find somebody else that'll do it then.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
striper, I don't know what a SCUT is. Somewhere I read compact tractors are 800 lbs and up. I am afraid of compacting the drain field with too much weight. I did go to the local rental yard last year , but the stuff is BIG. Anyway the pro has revised his quote downward to (surprisingly) about what I had estimated. I am out a ways and the materials and labor are not so cheap. It seemed like I would be buying a low end rider which might not like the work (break)and then have an extra crippled rider and still no lawn. Thanks.

eric102

Threads
striper, I don't know what a SCUT is. Somewhere I read compact tractors are 800 lbs and up. I am afraid of compacting the drain field with too much weight. I did go to the local rental yard last year , but the stuff is BIG. Anyway the pro has revised his quote downward to (surprisingly) about what I had estimated. I am out a ways and the materials and labor are not so cheap. It seemed like I would be buying a low end rider which might not like the work (break)and then have an extra crippled rider and still no lawn. Thanks.

Garden tractors can go up to or a little beyond 1,000 pounds. My John Deere X739 garden tractor is around the 1,000 mark. I would think a sub compact starts at around 1,000 pounds and goes up to ? My JD 3320 is considered a compact and it weighs in at about 3,000 lbs naked, add the loader and backhoe and I'm around 5,000 pounds.