Need advice on buying a riding mower

Bleach

Threads
I don't want some else's headache and I need something durable to handle mowing around 3 acres of lawn with bumpy terrain and some slopes. My current machine is a 1997 Craftsman 50" with a 25hp Kohler with a little over 600 hours. It has needed a lot repairs over the nearly 20 years of using it. A lot has broken because of the weak design of a lot of the deck parts but I kept it going but now the engine is going to need major work because it's burning oil badly plus the frame has cracks. I don't want another machine with a Kohler engine nor a Craftsman (or whoever builds these things) if I can help it.
I need to buy something that will give years of use that can handle some tough work without breaking often. I've checked my local Craigslist but there are no good deals which doesn't surprise me at this time of the year. I'm hoping to find someone in the Portland Oregon area who sells good equipment at a reasonable price.

NorthBama

Threads
if you want a machine that will last you will need to spend the big bucks on a commercial grade machine. IMO

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kubota BX series, John Deere X series.

Open your wallet wide, though. These aren't $1500 Big Box Store machines.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bleach, you are going to have a hard time finding what you want at a price you are willing to spend. Today's tractors are not built that way. Unless you get very, very, very lucky, you're going to have to spend $4000+ for a quality unit.

Bleach

Threads
Thanks guys for the advice. I was thinking I was going to have to spend around 4K but I'm trying to avoid that. I also need another pick-up so I would rather spend the 4K toward something I would use more often. I don't know how much longer I'm going live here. I have plans to move, hopefully in a year or two,l but I'll probably still need something even though I'd like downsize somewhat.
The mower still runs and works but I don't know how much longer I can keep it going.

Bleach

Threads
Kubotas are nice but way more than I really need. There are a few for sale locally but they're around 12K and up. :shocked:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads

helomech

Threads
I picked this up for 2900, needed about 400 bucks worth of parts. It should last me forever. 24hp kubota diesel, no transmission and 4wd.

19420851_10203366683284049_8735586367245307279_n.jpg

Bleach

Threads
Too bad the JD would be a bargain since it's more than I want to spend. The one for $2900 is a deal but it's size would be overkill for me. I have a few areas with dwarf fruit trees I mow around and my 50" takes some jogging to get around them.