Narrowed to a couple ztr's, which one?

n2_space

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well as i have two choices, my other neighbor is selling his 09 gravely
, i believe its a 2548 xl model (?) with two hundred hours, with an extra set of blades and mulch kit. He just wants a larger mower ( he is often gone for two weeks at a time or more and the grass gets too tall). He is asking 2500. First, is this a good deal? Second i assume many would still choose the scag for a grand more i assume? I know its a lot more mower, but its still a grand more too :redface: if its totally way more worth it i will spend it, but i also feel like i could easily use the gravely and save a grand. Thoughts?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well as i have two choices, my other neighbor is selling his 09 gravely
, i believe its a 2548 xl model (?) with two hundred hours, with an extra set of blades and mulch kit. He just wants a larger mower ( he is often gone for two weeks at a time or more and the grass gets too tall). He is asking 2500. First, is this a good deal? Second i assume many would still choose the scag for a grand more i assume? I know its a lot more mower, but its still a grand more too :redface: if its totally way more worth it i will spend it, but i also feel like i could easily use the gravely and save a grand. Thoughts?

Need better info on the Gravely...the residential models are ZT xx(cut width), ZT XL xx and ZT HD xx and the commercials are Pro-Turn xxx, Pro-Master xxx, Pro-Ride xxx & Compact pro xxx. A 3-year-old ZT 48 XL(the regular base residential ZT doesn't come in a 48", just a 42) "may" be worth that if in real good shape. See if you can get a more descriptive model#.

Exmark fan

Threads
Buy the Exmark S series and get the 3 year warranty on the mower and Kawasaki engine.

Wag

Forum Newbie
Threads
SCAG -----> and don't look back
I have a 2002 Scag Tiger Cub 48" w/20 hp Kohler
only maint. routine stuff ----- only on my second deck belt ($65.)
in 10 years since bought new in 2002.
BUY the - - - - -> S C A G <- - - - - you won't regret it.

n2_space

Forum Newbie
Threads
SCAG -----> and don't look back
I have a 2002 Scag Tiger Cub 48" w/20 hp Kohler
only maint. routine stuff ----- only on my second deck belt ($65.)
in 10 years since bought new in 2002.
BUY the - - - - -> S C A G <- - - - - you won't regret it.

I think I have pretty much decided on this option. I talked with him again, and of course they don't want to sell it until they move, but are more than happy to let me borrow it to cut mine so long as I cut theirs (he is usually gone and she doesn't use it), which is more than fine by me. Once they sell their house I have first dibs on it, and I can't see why not for the money and mower it is. BTW it has the 25hp Kawasaki engine. He has three sets of blades as well as the stripper, spreader, and sprayer.

My only problem so far is trying to truly ZTR the thing, I guess it just takes some practice, but the few times I have tried in the back part of my yard, half the time I tear up the turf, half the time it's ok, just "smooshed". I usually just do a three point turn to avoid tearing it up :ashamed:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I have pretty much decided on this option. I talked with him again, and of course they don't want to sell it until they move, but are more than happy to let me borrow it to cut mine so long as I cut theirs (he is usually gone and she doesn't use it), which is more than fine by me. Once they sell their house I have first dibs on it, and I can't see why not for the money and mower it is. BTW it has the 25hp Kawasaki engine. He has three sets of blades as well as the stripper, spreader, and sprayer.

My only problem so far is trying to truly ZTR the thing, I guess it just takes some practice, but the few times I have tried in the back part of my yard, half the time I tear up the turf, half the time it's ok, just "smooshed". I usually just do a three point turn to avoid tearing it up :ashamed:

n2_space,
I feel your pain(my new Gravely being my first ZTR). I fully understand the "concept" for not leaving "divets" in the grass being that BOTH wheels need to be moving(one forward and one reverse) to avoid the "stationary tire" from spinning/grinding the turf. But as you stated understanding it and getting the feel for actually doing that are two different things. What I've been trying to do is cut a couple of times "around the edge" of the yard and then start the back and forth cutting. I cut into the outside perimeter already cut and stop. I then begin backing up the mower and push one of the levers forward while continuing with the other lever in reverse. This seems to reduce the number of "divets" I make to just an occaisional one. If any "seasoned" ZTR operartors want to offer us some additional "techniques" I'm open for suggestions as I'm sure you are. BTW, I haven't tried the "three point turn" you described....but hey I'm not proud(if that gets rid of the "divets":0)

Threads
Personally I think you would be happy with any of the above brands, like Exmark, Scag, and Gravely. They are all phenomenal mowers!:smile: