My TB30R cuts to short on highest setting.

Captain Kirk

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are my options, the mower cuts to short for my St Augustine grass here in Florida. Can I put larger tires on the mower to raise the cutting height?

Pstreicher

Threads
I came here today to find an answer to this also for my neighbor. A search for tb30r found you here.
Larger tires...hmm..not a cheap option and why doesn't it cut the same height on the highest setting as my Craftsman 1100 is what I'd like to know.
Maybe the difference is the tires. Here is what I find on the net:
Craftsman R110 - 13x5/16x6.5 wheels
Troybuilt TB30R - 16 x 6.5 x 8
So, looks they have the same height wheels if I'm reading that right.
Let me ask A.I. about this.

ou

Sent by you:​

If a Troybuilt TB30R riding mower has 16 x 6.5 x 8 wheels and a Craftsman R110 has 13x5/16x6.5 wheels, why does the Troybuilt TB30R cut lower on the highest setting than the Craftsman set to the highest setting?

Copilot

Sent by Copilot:​

The difference in cutting height between the Troy-Bilt TB30R and the Craftsman R110 riding mowers, despite both being set to their highest settings, can be attributed to several factors:
  1. Wheel Size: The Troy-Bilt TB30R has larger rear wheels (16 x 6.5 x 8) compared to the Craftsman R110 (13 x 5/16 x 6.5). Larger wheels can affect the overall height and angle of the mower deck, potentially leading to a lower cutting height12.
  2. Deck Design and Adjustment Mechanism: The design of the mower deck and the mechanism used to adjust the cutting height can vary between models. The Troy-Bilt TB30R has a 5-position deck height adjustment, while the Craftsman R110 also offers multiple height settings12. However, the specific range of these settings and how they are calibrated can result in different maximum cutting heights.
  3. Mower Deck Configuration: The configuration and mounting of the mower deck can influence the cutting height. The Troy-Bilt TB30R’s deck might be positioned in a way that allows it to cut lower even at the highest setting12.
  4. Manufacturing Tolerances: Variations in manufacturing tolerances and design specifications can lead to differences in cutting height between different models and brands12.
If you need a higher cutting height, you might consider adjusting the deck or consulting the user manual for any additional adjustments that can be made. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask!
1: Troy-Bilt TB30R Specifications 2: Craftsman R110 Specifications

You

How do you adjust the mower deck configuration?

Copilot

Adjusting the mower deck configuration can help ensure an even cut and optimal performance. Here are the general steps to adjust the mower deck on a riding lawn mower:
  1. Safety First: Ensure the mower is on a flat, level surface. Turn off the engine, remove the key, disconnect the spark plug, and engage the parking brake.
  2. Check Tire Pressure: Make sure the tire pressure is correct, as uneven tire pressure can affect the deck height.
  3. Set Deck Height: Place the deck lift lever in the middle position.
  4. Measure Blade Height: Rotate the blade closest to the discharge chute so it is parallel to the mower. Measure the height of the front and rear blade tips to the ground.
  5. Adjust Front-to-Back Level: Adjust the hex nut on the front link to achieve the proper height difference between the front and rear blade tips. Typically, the front should be slightly lower than the rear.
  6. Adjust Side-to-Side Level: Rotate the blades perpendicular to the mower and measure the height of the blade tips on each side of the deck. Adjust the deck by loosening the hex bolt on the left hanger bracket and turning the adjustment gear until both blades have the same measurement from the ground.
  7. Tighten Bolts: Once the deck is level, tighten all bolts and reconnect the spark plug.
For specific instructions, refer to your mower’s user manual or watch a tutorial video like this one for Troy-Bilt mowers.
If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask!

Learn more
1youtube.com2youtube.com3youtube.com4youtube.com5youtube.com6backyardlord.com7searspartsdirect.com8yardlifemaster.com9youtu.be+8 more

25of30

Okay, so there we have it. Possibly a deck adjustment. I'm going to have to find out how to adjust my neighbor's deck and get him calibrated.
Let me know if this helps you and if you got it corrected. I'll report back after I get with my neighbor and see what can be done.

Thanks for posting this question. I'm also in Florida.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I came here today to find an answer to this also for my neighbor. A search for tb30r found you here.
Larger tires...hmm..not a cheap option and why doesn't it cut the same height on the highest setting as my Craftsman 1100 is what I'd like to know.
Maybe the difference is the tires. Here is what I find on the net:
Craftsman R110 - 13x5/16x6.5 wheels
Troybuilt TB30R - 16 x 6.5 x 8
So, looks they have the same height wheels if I'm reading that right.
Let me ask A.I. about this.

ou

If a Troybuilt TB30R riding mower has 16 x 6.5 x 8 wheels and a Craftsman R110 has 13x5/16x6.5 wheels, why does the Troybuilt TB30R cut lower on the highest setting than the Craftsman set to the highest setting?

Copilot

The difference in cutting height between the Troy-Bilt TB30R and the Craftsman R110 riding mowers, despite both being set to their highest settings, can be attributed to several factors:
  1. Wheel Size: The Troy-Bilt TB30R has larger rear wheels (16 x 6.5 x 8) compared to the Craftsman R110 (13 x 5/16 x 6.5). Larger wheels can affect the overall height and angle of the mower deck, potentially leading to a lower cutting height12.
  2. Deck Design and Adjustment Mechanism: The design of the mower deck and the mechanism used to adjust the cutting height can vary between models. The Troy-Bilt TB30R has a 5-position deck height adjustment, while the Craftsman R110 also offers multiple height settings12. However, the specific range of these settings and how they are calibrated can result in different maximum cutting heights.
  3. Mower Deck Configuration: The configuration and mounting of the mower deck can influence the cutting height. The Troy-Bilt TB30R’s deck might be positioned in a way that allows it to cut lower even at the highest setting12.
  4. Manufacturing Tolerances: Variations in manufacturing tolerances and design specifications can lead to differences in cutting height between different models and brands12.
If you need a higher cutting height, you might consider adjusting the deck or consulting the user manual for any additional adjustments that can be made. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask!
1: Troy-Bilt TB30R Specifications 2: Craftsman R110 Specifications

You

How do you adjust the mower deck configuration?

Copilot

Adjusting the mower deck configuration can help ensure an even cut and optimal performance. Here are the general steps to adjust the mower deck on a riding lawn mower:
  1. Safety First: Ensure the mower is on a flat, level surface. Turn off the engine, remove the key, disconnect the spark plug, and engage the parking brake.
  2. Check Tire Pressure: Make sure the tire pressure is correct, as uneven tire pressure can affect the deck height.
  3. Set Deck Height: Place the deck lift lever in the middle position.
  4. Measure Blade Height: Rotate the blade closest to the discharge chute so it is parallel to the mower. Measure the height of the front and rear blade tips to the ground.
  5. Adjust Front-to-Back Level: Adjust the hex nut on the front link to achieve the proper height difference between the front and rear blade tips. Typically, the front should be slightly lower than the rear.
  6. Adjust Side-to-Side Level: Rotate the blades perpendicular to the mower and measure the height of the blade tips on each side of the deck. Adjust the deck by loosening the hex bolt on the left hanger bracket and turning the adjustment gear until both blades have the same measurement from the ground.
  7. Tighten Bolts: Once the deck is level, tighten all bolts and reconnect the spark plug.
For specific instructions, refer to your mower’s user manual or watch a tutorial video like this one for Troy-Bilt mowers.
If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask!

Learn more
1youtube.com2youtube.com3youtube.com4youtube.com5youtube.com6backyardlord.com7searspartsdirect.com8yardlifemaster.com9youtu.be+8 more

25of30

Okay, so there we have it. Possibly a deck adjustment. I'm going to have to find out how to adjust my neighbor's deck and get him calibrated.
Let me know if this helps you and if you got it corrected. I'll report back after I get with my neighbor and see what can be done.

Thanks for posting this question. I'm also in Florida.
I don’t need artificial intelligence to say that it is not uncommon for riding mowers to cut short, even on the highest setting. The best thing to do is raise deck height with adjustments on sides and front. A level surface on concrete and a tape measure and a wrench(s) and it will usually help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And check the F'ing tyre pressures

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Three inches is the normal cutting height for St. Augustine.
Most any riding mower can be set to cut at three inches.

Pstreicher

Threads
Three inches is the normal cutting height for St. Augustine.
Most any riding mower can be set to cut at three inches.
3 1/2" is the standard for our Floratam. The thatch is so tall now my edger has to work hard to make the cut.
By the way, a battery powered Ryobi sucks at edging, leaving ragged edges. But, the 4-cycle Robyi powers through leaving a nice even edge.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Kinda sounds like a good scalping is to remove the thatch is needed but this is the wrong time of year to do it. And it is a lot of work too as all the cutting has to be removed as not to cause dead spots. I scalp here is in the Spring and gradually raise the cutter during the dry season.

Pstreicher

Threads
Kinda sounds like a good scalping is to remove the thatch is needed but this is the wrong time of year to do it. And it is a lot of work too as all the cutting has to be removed as not to cause dead spots. I scalp here is in the Spring and gradually raise the cutter during the dry season.
Maybe thatch is not the right word. Thick may be. Since finding a good lawn spraying company the grass has never been so lush, green and weed free. It's like a thick pile carpet now and runners are now showing scalped after a cut that are laying on top. I should get a pic and post here once I mow it maybe later today. That is, if I can get it done before the rain gets going. Then again, the ground is saturated and now may not be such a good time to mow.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
3 1/2" is the standard for our Floratam. The thatch is so tall now my edger has to work hard to make the cut.
By the way, a battery powered Ryobi sucks at edging, leaving ragged edges. But, the 4-cycle Robyi powers through leaving a nice even edge.
I have a very large patch of St. Augustine and I cut it at 3”. It doesn’t hurt a thing. The grass is very healthy and fast growing. Plus, I don’t fertilize it. St. Augustine is the perfect southern grass for shaded areas.

I did see where the University of Florida recommends cutting Floratam at 3.5” to 4”. You must cut it twice a week.
Have you leveled your deck from a level concrete surface?
Measure from the concrete to the bottom of the blades.
The TB30 specs states that the cutting height is 1.5” to 4”. Your mower should be capable of cutting at 3.5”.

Last edited: