My Mower Story

NJMower

Threads
I just bought my first riding mower. I don't really need a riding mower. My intention is to use it to mow two empty lots on my street that the town does mow, but sometimes not very frequently. My own lot is 80x100' and so far I've been happy with my 22" Toro.

The machine is a Husqvarna YTH24v48 48" riding mower. My church had three of these (one for parts only). I used them for about half a season two yeas ago to help with the mowing. When they switched to a lawn service, the machines sat in a shed for two years before they decided to get rid of them. I had the batteries for them at home, and I charged them from time to time. I heard they sold the first one when they came to me for the battery. I immediately offered $300 for the other and ultimately took it home for $200 (they were willing to go $100 when they couldn't find the key but I'm sure the machine is worth more than that). I knew I had taken the time to winterize the machines and they started right up. I also claimed a bunch or spare parts from the shed. If I get the inclination, I will strip their parts mower down and take it home. It has the motor, deck, etc. still attached. They sure don't need it any more.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's probably a wise decision to buy a pair of mowers these days, given the situation with parts unavailability caused by planned as well as unplanned obsolescence.

NJMower

Threads
The purchase of the three identical mowers at one church had to do with two employees who didn't get along and blamed each other for broken belts, spindles, etc. when they shared the first machine.

I agree that buying more than one of something has a lot of advantages - much more than common parts. When I was hired, I could immediately operate both machines. When I learned how to fix a part on one, I could fix the same part on the other.

There are of course other schools of thought - put all that money toward a better mower or buy two different machines that compliment each other.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always encourage my customers to keep a spare mower , usually the old one and use it regularly for whatever part of the lawn it is better suited for than the new mower.
Simple reason is parts availibility and service times.
In peak season ( before covid ) I would get backed up as far as 6 weeks and the big shops about 4 to 8 weeks and when the grass is growing 2' a week that is a long time to be without a mower or trying to subdue anything more than a 1/2 acre with a push mower.
So far this year I have waited 18 weeks for a B & S cam shaft , 22 weeks for a stator , 20 weeks for a blower housing , 9 weeks for Kawakasi piston rings , 16 weeks for a pair of Kohler con rods.
Even things like blades belts & pulleys have been up to 6 weeks and things are getting worse on a daily basis .