My mower misses grass??!

dvantuyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely ZT2048 with a 26 hp Briggs. I have tried everything from blades, removing baffles, mowing slower, and I can't for the life of me figure out why this thing leaves grass standing! It doesn't matter if I mow in a straight line or turn sharp....it always leaves grass standing. Im almost certain the belt isnt slipping because it's fairly new and pretty tight. I never hear the blade roar slow down either. If its pretty thinned out grass and not very tall it doesn't miss much but anything fairly thick or over 5 or 6 inches, I have to mow most of the yard twice! Any input would be great!

txzrider

Threads
so what height are you trying to cut that 5-6 inch grass down to?

dvantuyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's mostly just fescue.......the more I thought about the grass heights, it's probably more like 8-10" and I always mow with the deck heighth on the highest setting which is probably 4-6". The terrain is mostly flat ground.

Grassbandit

Threads
Have you already sorted out this matter?
If not, can I suggest checking the blade engage system? Maybe there's a fault somewhere that causes the blades to either not spin or spin, just not fast enough.
Also, do ensure the blades are turned correctly.

fastback

Threads
I have the same thing that happen to me when I let the grass go just a little past the point I normally cut. My tractor is a Husqvarna GT2652, it has a fabracated deck. It does a resonable job if I cut every 3 to 4 days, but if I go past that point I get a narrow strip from the blade furthest from the discharge. It does not matter if I go slow it will still be present. It must be something in the design. I think it has some thing to do with grass build up under the deck. Usually when I have this problem I have plugs of grass that will come out in clumps from the shoot.

This week it happened. The grass was damp and would not dry I needed to get it cut and unfortunately I have a few stripes and clumps.

dvantuyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
This has not been resolved but I do appreciate the input. I have verified everything in the common since category. Blades are installed correctly and have tried different types of blades. I live in Kansas and haven't seen rain in over a month. I do water daily but it is totally dry when I mow. I don't think the belt/blades are slipping because the engine and blades don't ever bogg or change sound. Also, if they were slipping I would think if I mowed very slow it would cut it all but mowing speed doesn't seem to fix the issue. When I bought the mower used it was missing all the front deck chute baffles so I purchased new through gravely and installed. It didn't seem to mak a difference although I was 99% sure it would due to the vacuum effect pulling the grass upright. The only thing it changed was the amount of dust/debris blew up in front of the mower.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a test, mow a small area in reverse. If it corrects the problem that deck possibly has a design issue.