My metal object detecting lawnmower project no more blade damage/flying shrapnel

DuctTape Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My metal object detecting lawnmower project no more blade damage/flying shrapnel
Let me know your thoughts on my lawn mower project that automatically shutdown when a metal object is detected.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / My metal object detecting lawnmower project no more blade damage/flying shrapnel
Just because I know this annoys some here & I am feeling cheaky this morning.
This problem was solved 70 years ago ( if not earlier ) by using swing back blades.
Most tractor mowers , real 3 point linkage type not lawnmower on steroids , use swing back blades .
Some USA walk behinds used to have swing back blades .
Then Victa did a major export drive into the USA .
These mowers were substantially better than most of the USA made ones so in order to protect the local mower makers the USA banned swing back blades on domestic mowers declairing they were dangerous.
To date I have exported around 50 or so swing back blade holders to people in the USA.
Like others have already mentioned, it is a good idea but it will never make it to market because the buying public are far too cheap to pay for it.
Local push mower factories are just barely hanging on under the pressure from the $ 50 Chinese imports so adding another expense to locally made mowers will just not be commercially viable.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Been mowing grass for 50 years or so and never hit a metal piece that would damage the mower. Tree roots are a different story. We used to have a little Huffy mower with swing back blade tips on a big disc underneath. Had the grass discharge on both ends and a swing over handle. Great for a city yard and real easy to start with that big disc under there.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't forget baseballs...............

DuctTape Mechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been mowing grass for 50 years or so and never hit a metal piece that would damage the mower. Tree roots are a different story. We used to have a little Huffy mower with swing back blade tips on a big disc underneath. Had the grass discharge on both ends and a swing over handle. Great for a city yard and real easy to start with that big disc under there.
People have commented to me about destroying there lawnmowers by hitting metal objects in tall grass another person said the object they ran over shattered sliding glass door. It goes to say there is a difference between peoples skill levels