Export thread

My lawn mower won’t start after tipping the spark plug area up to the sky

D

dom22

I cleaned the bottom of my lawn mower and while I sprayed it out with the hose it was being tipped down, like spark plug to the sky and handle to the ground. After that I let it sit so it could dry. I saw some gas under where the mower was when I moved it. Then when I went to go start it to make sure it works before putting it away it wouldn’t start! I heard it sputter a tiny bit but it wouldn’t start. Maybe the engine is flooded? I’m not sure. Can someone tell me why?

M

mechanic mark

Check oil dipstick for oil level & does it smell like gas. If so you need to change oil, check air & fuel filters & spark plug for cleaning or replacement.
Air filter a bit dirty you need to replace filter with OEM filter, engine has to breathe. Oil level on dipstick should be on Full mark & checked before starting every time. Fresh air, fresh gas, good spark & compression are needed for engine to run.
Do you have an in line fuel shut-off valve & is it off?
See page 22 in your Operators Manual troubleshooting section.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

do what mark said, also remove the spark plug, pull the rope a few times, and reinstall the plug.

D

dom22

Oil dipstick smells like oil and it has a little oil. The filter is a bit dirty but no gas in it.

D

dom22

do what mark said, also remove the spark plug, pull the rope a few times, and reinstall the plug.
Didn’t work :(

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Oil dipstick smells like oil and it has a little oil. The filter is a bit dirty but no gas in it.
there is no gas in the fuel filter?
post a picture or any identification of the engine you can find.

D

dom22

Yes, there is no gas in the filter.

It is a Troy-Bilt TB230, model number: 12AVB25U711.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

No gas in the filter either makes me thing a plugged tank vent, or you're out of gas...
loosen the cap and see what happens.

D

dom22

No gas in the filter either makes me thing a plugged tank vent, or you're out of gas...
loosen the cap and see what happens.
There for sure is gas in the tank, are you sure there should be gas in the filter? I don’t think there should be any.

S

slomo

Oil dipstick smells like oil and it has a little oil
Need to keep the oil at the FULL mark. Not over and not under all the time. Check oil PRIOR to starting your mowing. Use plain ol' tried and true SAE30 oil.

slomo

S

slomo

are you sure there should be gas in the filter? I don’t think there should be any.
Should be some fuel in the fuel filter. No gas in the air filter.

Remove the fuel line AT the carb. Drain into a glass jar. Should have good fuel flow there. Verify this.

slomo

S

slomo

As stated remove spark plug and pull the rope several times. Let it sit a while to dry with plug out.

slomo

S

slomo

If all this fails, remove carb bowl. Should have fuel in the bowl. DON'T over torque the bowl nut. Just a gentle snug is all you need.

Probably could use a carb cleaning while you are at it.

D

dom22

Need to keep the oil at the FULL mark. Not over and not under all the time. Check oil PRIOR to starting your mowing. Use plain ol' tried and true SAE30 oil.

slomo
Will fill it up with fresh oil when I get back home ??

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

are we talking like one of these filters?
1626457671453.png 1626457688763.png
Or
something like this.. 1626457712416.png

If it's FUEL filter, there should be gas in it...

D

dom22

are we talking like one of these filters?
View attachment 57496 View attachment 57497
Or
something like this.. View attachment 57498

No, it’s an air filter. I think we’re talking about 2 different filters.

D

dom22

It’s all fixed, I changed the oil and spark plug and it seemed to fix. Thanks for all of your help!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

No, it’s an air filter. I think we’re talking about 2 different filters.
oh yeah, shouldn't see gas sitting in the air filter...
glad you got 'er going.

S

slomo

Great tip LOL

I too was unclear on the filter deal.

slom

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Great tip LOL

I too was unclear on the filter deal.

slom
1626487332982.png

G

Gord Baker

Remove and clean the Spark Plug. Spray it with Brake or Carb cleaner. Let dry and reinstall.
Spray a bit of 'Quick Start' into the Air Breather with Choke OPEN and pull several times. Then try with choke on slightly.

R

rustycat

I cleaned the bottom of my lawn mower and while I sprayed it out with the hose it was being tipped down, like spark plug to the sky and handle to the ground. After that I let it sit so it could dry. I saw some gas under where the mower was when I moved it. Then when I went to go start it to make sure it works before putting it away it wouldn’t start! I heard it sputter a tiny bit but it wouldn’t start. Maybe the engine is flooded? I’m not sure. Can someone tell me why?
You may have gotten water on the kill switch on the side of the engine. One drop will short it out. With a blow gun dry it out.

C

CaptFerd

Tip mower to were spark plug points to the ground. Let it slam to the ground then start mower.

S

slomo

Tip mower to were spark plug points to the ground. Let it slam to the ground then start mower.
Is this in the mower manual?

Some mowers have plastic wheels. See where this is going?

slomo

S

slomo

Spray some WD-40 inside the spark plug boot.

slomo

M

mysticheadlice

Carb float likely stuck in "up" (closed) position. Remove plug, reattach wire, ground plug and check for spark. If you have spark, spray a little starting fluid in plug hole, reinsert plug and pull rope. If briefly runs and dies, pull off fuel line at carb, if good flow, plug fuel line with pencil and remove carb and clean float valve, making sure it moves freely up and down and reassemble.

tgriscom

tgriscom

When you tip your mower, tip it to the side with the carb up.That keeps most of the fluids in the right place.

K

Kevins1955

Does the spark plug look wet? If so clean and dry the spark plug. As suggested, pull the starter rope a few times to remove any excess fuel/oil. Then replace the plug. It should start for you.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

See Post #17

S

slomo

I would replace the spark plug. Should get it running.

slomo