My lawn mower won’t start after tipping the spark plug area up to the sky

dom22

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My lawn mower won’t start after tipping the spark plug area up to the sky
I cleaned the bottom of my lawn mower and while I sprayed it out with the hose it was being tipped down, like spark plug to the sky and handle to the ground. After that I let it sit so it could dry. I saw some gas under where the mower was when I moved it. Then when I went to go start it to make sure it works before putting it away it wouldn’t start! I heard it sputter a tiny bit but it wouldn’t start. Maybe the engine is flooded? I’m not sure. Can someone tell me why?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check oil dipstick for oil level & does it smell like gas. If so you need to change oil, check air & fuel filters & spark plug for cleaning or replacement.
Air filter a bit dirty you need to replace filter with OEM filter, engine has to breathe. Oil level on dipstick should be on Full mark & checked before starting every time. Fresh air, fresh gas, good spark & compression are needed for engine to run.
Do you have an in line fuel shut-off valve & is it off?
See page 22 in your Operators Manual troubleshooting section.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
do what mark said, also remove the spark plug, pull the rope a few times, and reinstall the plug.

dom22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oil dipstick smells like oil and it has a little oil. The filter is a bit dirty but no gas in it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
No gas in the filter either makes me thing a plugged tank vent, or you're out of gas...
loosen the cap and see what happens.

dom22

Forum Newbie
Threads
No gas in the filter either makes me thing a plugged tank vent, or you're out of gas...
loosen the cap and see what happens.
There for sure is gas in the tank, are you sure there should be gas in the filter? I don’t think there should be any.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oil dipstick smells like oil and it has a little oil
Need to keep the oil at the FULL mark. Not over and not under all the time. Check oil PRIOR to starting your mowing. Use plain ol' tried and true SAE30 oil.

slomo