my fix to overheating tractor

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
can you take few pictures of the oil cooler set-up and where you plugged into the block? :smile:

Hi Red, I'm trying ...need camera fixed. Meanwhile I'm about to issue installation sequence. Motoman

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I totally agree with what Kenny said but I will add that you don't want just any Synthetic oil the EPA made the manufactures of oil for passenger cars to reduce the level of ZDDP because it is hard on catalytic converters.

If you use a heavy duty oil for diesel trucks it is exempt of these rules.
I use Shell T-6 5-40 it is a full synthetic and has a lot of ZDDP.

The point of a cam lobe in a engine with heavy springs will have 220,000 psi on the lobe.
Conventional oil breaks down from heat and will fail at temps about 225F and since it no longer has enough ZDDP to protect while no oil is present it will ruin the cam.
Thousand of old cars has been victim to this.

While a oil cooler is a great idea if you really want to keep the engine going for years do it a favor and put T-6 in it your engine will thank you for it. :thumbsup:
Bart, As noted the cam failed because the guide pushed and stopped rocker actuation (solid stack up). The intake cam was perfect. The springs are lite, compress with fingers, Motoman

Black Bart

Threads
Bart, As noted the cam failed because the guide pushed and stopped rocker actuation (solid stack up). The intake cam was perfect. The springs are lite, compress with fingers, Motoman
Yes I understand I mentioned the spring pressure pointing out that a lot of old muscle cars have lost cams from lack of ZDDP in their oil.

You said even after the cooler was installed you oil temp is as high as 300F what I'm trying to tell you is conventional oil can not lubricate at that temperature.

You need a good synthetic but if you are convinced that you don't need it then nothing i can do.

Like my pappy told me one time.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cool Hot Intek II Installation

(1) Remove stock oil filter. Drill/tap 1/8 NPT hole near upper port on new adapter (PL) so that oil can reach oil press sender (sound scary?not) Have it done. Only machine mod. Debur,clean. Bolt oil adaptor to block with hose nipples in place (PL). (2) Position oil cooler (PL) to determine mount position. Trial mount seeking airflow accross, between BAT and engine rear. Rubber mount (PL) cooler with nipples (PL). (3) Size ,install oil hoses (PL). (4) Solid mount fan (PL) outside cooler blowing accross. (5) Remove stock oil drain plug. Install plug (PL) tapped for Beede oil temp gauge.Screw in Beede sender (PL can do in vise 1st). (6) select positions for gauges/switch on dash.Hole cut/drill. Install gauges and sw (PL). (7) Wire oil gauges and SW . Take 12v from BAT cable buss (node) . (8) Tirim under hood air shroud and bend side louvre to clear fan. (9) Install Altima oil filter on adaptor. Fill sump. Remove spark plugs. Crank engine to fill cooler until pressure gauge flutters. Install spark plugs. (10) Top oil.Start engine. Search for oil leaks , esp oil lines.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
cool hot intek III: Parts and sources (PL references)

(1)oil filter adaptor:JC Whit ZX1736775T $25 Specify Nissan Altima. Nipples: 3/8 NPT straight pipe,short, cut to suit:plumbing. (2)oil cooler JC Whit ZX381481X $48, Mounts ?auto windows, or electronics surplus? 3/4" dia with 2 machine scrrews, aka "biscuit mounts" rubber, sorry, scrounge 'em. Nipple assys made from 2 ea 1/2 NPT male 90 deg EL x 3/8 NPT Female with 2 ea 1/2NPT male x 3/8 "ferrule,Plumbing. (3) oil hose: auto oil resist 3/8" 15" and cut. (4) fan: (mine) 91 Nissan Sentra 1 of 2 radiator fans, 12V (3.5 Amp measured) auto salvage? find better? Blades cut to 11 1/" dia. (5)sump plug/Beede sensor home : Lowes brass 11/16 hex w/1/8 NPT ctr. A776 17000776 $ ?.(6)oil press ga: JC WhitZX272651 w/sender (elec) $29 also auto stores. Oil temp ga JC Whit ZX126193T +sender ZX126195 $20+$11. Switch on/off dash. Any mountable. Misc: hose clamps , nyloc nuts (H Frt) , wire, inline fuse (IMPORTANT) .

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
cool hot intek IV: Installation tip, adapter

The "clocking" of the oil adapter is important. Once you mount the oil cooler, oil hose installment is tight on the lower hose. You need to shorten the lower hose nipple to just provide for two hose clamps on the right oil adapter hose. This is to avoid nipple to nipple contact and to allow bending the hose to get it on. Another reason is that both hoses provide considerable mounting support and shock absorbption for the cooler. You should threfore expect to dry -run this task and note exactly how the nipple clocks. Next, the hex nut holding the adapter to the block is thin and chamfered so it wants to jump out of the socket when torquing. The O ring seal allows the adapter to turn as it is torqued. Solutions: dress down the socket, and make a temp clocking aid from wood ( 6 3/8" long) which abuts the adapter and wedges against the tractor sheet metal .

I realize all this is difficult to follow without either parts in hand or pictures. We bought a new camera. By the way I believe the parts are around $200 in 2007 dollars.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re:Cool Hot Intek: Tractor heats observed

My notes showed that just after the "fix" I drove around in Dec , ambient 50 deg F, no deck , towing trailer light branches load, oil temp gauge 190 deg F. After stopping up to 200 deg F. No fan.

In Summer here , 70-80 deg F . light mowing, light baskets on level turf mid 200's deg F. No fan

As noted Summer here 70-80 deg F heavy mowing, full damp grass baskets on slight grades, before grass dump 290 deg F to 300 deg F. The Beedee gauge is calibrated up to 320 deg F. Five minute therapy , hood raised, engine idling. fan on ,temp down to 230 deg F or lower

demhustler

Threads
any success with posting picts?

easy fix:
1. attachments

attach1.JPG

2. "insert image" button
right click on picture - properties - copy address(url)
insert image button - paste

Attachments

• attach2.JPG
    attach2.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 26
  • attach3.JPG
    attach3.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 18
  • attach4.JPG
    attach4.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 12
  • attach5.JPG
    attach5.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cooling hot intek:part Picture ref pl above

JCW diagrams/PNs from 2007 . Arrow shows threaded port to be added for pressure sender.

scan0005.jpg

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
any success with posting picts?

easy fix:
1. attachments

View attachment 3018

2. "insert image" button
right click on picture - properties - copy address(url)
insert image button - paste

demhustler, thanks for the help, see below Motoman . PS New camera here stay tuned