my cub cadet zr154 will crank but cuts off when arms engaged

Basicfarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / my cub cadet zr154 will crank but cuts off when arms engaged
i have changed the seat safety switch and both the safety arm switches, but it still cuts the motor when i try and engage the arms to drive. any suggestion on what may be the problem, thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You missed the brake switch
I don't have a wiring diagram for your mower but most ZTR'S will have a double brake switch
On side prevents the engine cranking unless the brake is on
The other side kills the engine if the levers move & the brake is on or the seat switch activates & the brake is off.
Some times they use a single pole switch & relays
If you have a 4 terminal switch remove the plug and jump the side that is closed when the brake is on ( test the switch )
If you can move the arms without the engine dieing then the brake switch is faulty .
IF not then the wiring is faulty or relays ( where fittied ) may be faulty.

FWIW the linking of the lap bars & brake switch is to prevent you from driving away with the brake on which destroys the brake .

Basicfarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
You missed the brake switch
I don't have a wiring diagram for your mower but most ZTR'S will have a double brake switch
On side prevents the engine cranking unless the brake is on
The other side kills the engine if the levers move & the brake is on or the seat switch activates & the brake is off.
Some times they use a single pole switch & relays
If you have a 4 terminal switch remove the plug and jump the side that is closed when the brake is on ( test the switch )
If you can move the arms without the engine dieing then the brake switch is faulty .
IF not then the wiring is faulty or relays ( where fittied ) may be faulty.

FWIW the linking of the lap bars & brake switch is to prevent you from driving away with the brake on which destroys the brake .
im sorry its a cub cadet ZT154 does that have the double brake switch

Basicfarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
im sorry its a cub cadet ZT154 does that have the double brake switch
also is that the one button switch that when in park is pressed by the arms . i put two new switches one on each arm and it still cuts off

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
No it is the one button switch with four terminals that is activated when engage and disengage the park brake.

Basicfarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
No it is the one button switch with four terminals that is activated when engage and disengage the park brake.
ok, this mower from what i understand has the parking break incorperated in the two arms . the only pedal on this mower is the deck lift

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
During the 2020 year model MTD made changes to the wiring harness which required a different seat switch. Old style use the Grey Delta 6444 (NC, NC) series switch and the new style uses a black Delta 6444 switch (NC, NO).

A main wire harness change was made on the Ultima ZT1 and ZT2 Models during the Model Year 2020 production.
This change also affected a change to the seat switch function and other associated parts included.
If the 725-14006 Black Body with Gray plunger Seat Switch is installed on the 725-08405 / 725P08405 Main Wire Harness,
the P.T.O. will not function.
If the 725-05013 Gray Body Seat Switch is attempted to be installed on the 725-12125 / 725P12125 Main Wire Harness
(it will not mate with the 725P12125). However, the unit will still be able to start but will stall when the brakes are released or if the P.T.O.
is turned on.
Just something to be aware of.

Basicfarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
During the 2020 year model MTD made changes to the wiring harness which required a different seat switch. Old style use the Grey Delta 6444 (NC, NC) series switch and the new style uses a black Delta 6444 switch (NC, NO).

Just something to be aware of.
thanks great information