Murry self propelled push Mower with vacuum out oil Change?

platefire

Threads
  • / Murry self propelled push Mower with vacuum out oil Change?
Is this something new not having an oil drain plug and requiring you to use a vacuum pump to vacuum out the oil from the oil input plug?
I like to drove myself nuts figuring how to drain the oil out and finally looked at the manual and you have to vacuum it out. Is this wide
spread in mowers now?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Today’s small engines have no drain plug. Either use a vacuum pump or do as I do. Tip the unit on its side, carb up, and drain oil into a pan through the fill tube.

platefire

Threads
OK, Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Removal of the drain plug on push mower engines started in the late 90's and matured in the 00's. Started with enclosed decks and self proper units that preventing access to the plug even when they still have them. What really irritates me is finding a no drain plug engine on a front tine tiller when you have to either vacuum out the oil or turn the entire tiller on its side.

platefire

Threads
Well I have to admit, draining the oil when the plug was on the bottom was kind of awkward being you
had to elevate or tilt the deck to get a drain pan under it. I've been using my riding mower and just a weed
eater for last 30 years, and when I bought this push mower, I delayed changing the oil because I couldn't
find the drain plug:>) So I missed the transition of no drain plugs from the 90's to the 00's. Now I can change the oil cause I reckon I'm up to speed:unsure:

4getgto

Threads
Hey I'm sure there's people out there that think if there's no drain plug the oil doesn't have to be changed.. Sure this topic kind up a few times with guys sitting on a bar stool..

platefire

Threads
At first I thought it was a manufacturing mistake and they had just missed it. Like they say "If all fails, read the manual" and it was right there "Use a Vacuum pump".

Kinda like my Husqvarna Riding mower has the side plastic panels blocking access to the oil drain
plug and the oil filter. Ever time I change oil and filter I have to get the manual out to take off those
plastic panels without breaking them

shurguywutt

Threads
Almost as bad as the transaxles on my ZT. No drain plugs and the manufacurer recommends removing them to drain the oil hahaha NOPE