Murry automaticdrive hydrostatic trans goes faster in reverse than forward

troy-built

Threads
  • / Murry automaticdrive hydrostatic trans goes faster in reverse than forward
I have a different question about this mower it has a automaticdrive hydrostatic trans in it. I put a new trans in it many years ago and ever since I put it in it will go faster in reverse than it will going forward. I always thought something was in backwards but I put it in just as it came out. What could be the problem?

keakar

Threads
What could be the problem?

a whole list of things

my guess would be a restricted screen or weak pump not allowing good pressure flow

"what" the issue is, would be more about your curiosity rather the troubleshooting , since once you open those things up its a total rebuild or you will inevitably be going back into it again

troy-built

Threads
a whole list of things

my guess would be a restricted screen or weak pump not allowing good pressure flow

"what" the issue is, would be more about your curiosity rather the troubleshooting , since once you open those things up its a total rebuild or you will inevitably be going back into it again
It could be but I really doubt it. It's been doing that from the beginning when it was new. I replaced the old one that went bad.

When you go forward it goes to a certain speed and stays there but when you back up it starts out slow and when you push down on the peddle it speeds up even faster. It's almost like it's in backwards.

Could it be that the trans could be for a mower that turns in a different direction?

The trans has run perfect since I installed it and has been for years with no changes.

I figured since I'm on here I would try and trouble shoot it.

keakar

Threads
It could be but I really doubt it. It's been doing that from the beginning when it was new. I replaced the old one that went bad.

When you go forward it goes to a certain speed and stays there but when you back up it starts out slow and when you push down on the peddle it speeds up even faster. It's almost like it's in backwards.

Could it be that the trans could be for a mower that turns in a different direction?

The trans has run perfect since I installed it and has been for years with no changes.

I figured since I'm on here I would try and trouble shoot it.
so it came with the issue and you didnt return it to get one that works correctly? that sounds like a silly decision, but i think we all made those decisions to live with something that isnt quite right from time to time

i do recall something can be installed backwards and cause operational issues that might be what you are experiencing, watch this video and see if it rings any bells

troy-built

Threads
so it came with the issue and you didnt return it to get one that works correctly?

Well to be honest I didn't catch it for months. After all how much do you really back up? I back up very little. I was just glad at the time to be able to cut my grass again. Thanks for your help and the video. Going to watch it now.

Also this was at least 10 years ago or more I'm guessing could be 15. You know how time flies the older we get. Long before these forums were around.

Last edited:

troy-built

Threads
Well I have to thank you for the video, That is the very best video I have ever seen on youtube. He didn't miss a thing.

I believe I figured my problem. Right at the end about 1 hour and 7 min he said they make these trans in clock wise and counter clock wise. Well there you go just as I had thought all along. I was beginning to believe it was my imagination but I guess not.

So now I need to figure out if something can be done to fix it or just live with it.

This is no longer my everyday mower actually it's been put up for about 8 years since the motor started leaking. But I figured since covid and I have time now I would try and repair it.

Thanks again you have been more help than you know........

keakar

Threads
So now I need to figure out if something can be done to fix it or just live with it.
rewatch the video, i do recall somewhere in it he said if you put something in backwards forward would be reverse and reverse would be forward.

maybe im mistaken but if not you might be able to flip that part to convert it clock wise and/or counter clock wise to work correctly

troy-built

Threads
rewatch the video, i do recall somewhere in it he said if you put something in backwards forward would be reverse and reverse would be forward.

maybe im mistaken but if not you might be able to flip that part to convert it clock wise and/or counter clock wise to work correctly
Yea I seen the part your talking about also. That was in the beginning when he was taking it apart. It was a rectangle part with a bearing and two races. That would swap the forward and reverse. I don't know about the speed swapping? It would be nice to figure it out just in case someone else had the same problem in the future.

Also if it was just a little different in speed that would be ok but it's a lot different.

Many thanks again for your help.