Murray the mower -- oil at carburetor

Tiki Vegas

Forum Newbie
Threads
THANK YOU.

I'm still trying to figure out if there is a gasket failure or the carb is leaking into the cylinder while it sits. This will help. I'm open to suggestions.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i would keep a check on a fuel level... maybe mark it with a sharpie on the outside of the tank if it's transparent enough to see the fuel level.

Tiki Vegas

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good idea.
If you can believe, after my catastrophic panic, it starts, runs and cuts now even after about 15 minutes of use. So I'm still confused. I'm gonna change the air filter and the oil. I'd think the oil would be much darker than it shows on the stick so it may be contaminated. Usually if something goes wrong once, it's not gonna go away.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
i would keep a check on a fuel level... maybe mark it with a sharpie on the outside of the tank if it's transparent enough to see the fuel level.
Or a stick inside the tank.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My best guess is that the float needle in the carb did not seat properly, allowing all the fuel to drain through the carb into the crankcase. Is the oil level above the full mark and does the oil smell like fuel? If so it would confirm my guess. Remedy would be to remove the carb, clean and rebuild it using the proper carb kit. If I’m wrong, he who knows more than me and tell me I’m wrong and give you a better answer.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
On that now priceless engine, I would install a fuel shutoff valve and filter inline with the carb. Use the shutoff at every mowing.

Glad to hear she's a runner.

Tiki Vegas

Forum Newbie
Threads
On that now priceless engine, I would install a fuel shutoff valve and filter inline with the carb. Use the shutoff at every mowing.

Glad to hear she's a runner.
I thought you were sorta joking, but you don't realize how much you depend on these old engines until it goes down.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought you were sorta joking, but you don't realize how much you depend on these old engines until it goes down.
Briggs is no longer making parts for a lot of these older engines. Sad to see as these are their better products. New stuff is full of plastic cams and carbs.....

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Plastic carbs ain't horrible... A lot less corrosion when you leave fuel in them.

robsfun62

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the filter off to troubleshoot only.

Cleaned under the shroud completely a few years ago.

Most likely will remove the head when I figure out procedure and have a diagram. I'm searching now.
I do have a hardware store and a good small engine implement shop nearby.

This Murray gets used maybe 10 hours a year or less, light duty.
You have plugged block vent I would check the pcv valve for proper operation (not stuck) then any vacuum lines on the engine to make sure they are not plugged