Export thread

Murray Lawnchief 3 speed stuck in gear??

D

daltojamesl

Hello, i just inherited a Murray Lawnchief 3 speed with the motor in the back. I do not know the year but i am assuming from the 70s? the issue is the machine seems to be stuck in gear or something. I cannot push the mower only by lifring the back up. the shifting lever can freely move to the 4 spots for reverse 1-2-3 and neutral is in the middle. the lever seems to lock into the spots like it is suppose to but when you shift from a gear into neutral it seems like nothing happens. Also, when i go to pull start the engine, the machine wants to jump forward. Thanks for any advice I appreciate it

M

mechanic mark

Scroll down page & look for your mower manual. Let us know if this helps, thanks, Mark

Fish

Fish

Sounds like your belt is not disengaging when you press the pedal, or possibly a bearing freezing up. We need to know what you have to be of much help.

S

SeniorCitizen

Murrays were prone to brake sticking .

I put a bug in a cousin's ear about a Murray garden tractor he was wanting to bid on at auction. It had to be dragged from a shed to sell and the quick verbal diagnosis was " the transmission is locked up " .

A lawn tractor that would normally sell for a few hundred was bought by cousin for 50 bucks.

H

hlw49

Murrays were prone to brake sticking .

I put a bug in a cousin's ear about a Murray garden tractor he was wanting to bid on at auction. It had to be dragged from a shed to sell and the quick verbal diagnosis was " the transmission is locked up " .

A lawn tractor that would normally sell for a few hundred was bought by cousin for 50 bucks.
You are exactly right have seen it lots of time.