Murray Lawnchief 3 speed stuck in gear??

daltojamesl

Threads
Hello, i just inherited a Murray Lawnchief 3 speed with the motor in the back. I do not know the year but i am assuming from the 70s? the issue is the machine seems to be stuck in gear or something. I cannot push the mower only by lifring the back up. the shifting lever can freely move to the 4 spots for reverse 1-2-3 and neutral is in the middle. the lever seems to lock into the spots like it is suppose to but when you shift from a gear into neutral it seems like nothing happens. Also, when i go to pull start the engine, the machine wants to jump forward. Thanks for any advice I appreciate it

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like your belt is not disengaging when you press the pedal, or possibly a bearing freezing up. We need to know what you have to be of much help.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Murrays were prone to brake sticking .

I put a bug in a cousin's ear about a Murray garden tractor he was wanting to bid on at auction. It had to be dragged from a shed to sell and the quick verbal diagnosis was " the transmission is locked up " .

A lawn tractor that would normally sell for a few hundred was bought by cousin for 50 bucks.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Murrays were prone to brake sticking .

I put a bug in a cousin's ear about a Murray garden tractor he was wanting to bid on at auction. It had to be dragged from a shed to sell and the quick verbal diagnosis was " the transmission is locked up " .

A lawn tractor that would normally sell for a few hundred was bought by cousin for 50 bucks.
You are exactly right have seen it lots of time.