Murray Furry

Murry Furry

Threads
Turning a 1981 five horse Murray into a mini rat rod:cool:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turning a 1981 five horse Murray into a mini rat rod:cool:

I subscribe to Hot Rod magazine, among others, so I have a good idea of what a rat rod is, but have never seen a MOWER type rat rod...should be interesting to see the finished product, oops, wrong choice of words, rat rods are never finished, right? :confused2:

Murry Furry

Threads
thanks JDgreen for replying. Yes they are never done. The idea of building a mini rat rod out of a mower isn't new, put i have never seen one built out of a rear engine mower

Murry Furry

Threads
i plan to have the tank mounted by tomorrow, and in a week or two a new set of wheels, and rims for it. i just hope that old engine i through on holds out? For the rest of the week i plan to have the choke cable ran, and a kill switch built.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ditch the motor - go with a horozontally opposed twin, and run dual straight pipes out........

Snapper has a RER with a twin on it, ya know.....not unthinkable. That tranny box, if it's the chain final drive kind, will take a lot of abuse.....and a lot of HP......and a lot of gearing options.........

The diff, on the other hand.......well, it WON'T. :laughing:

Murry Furry

Threads
i had one on my old MTD Santar, but i gave away the mower as a gratuation gift, and i'm now trading with him to get the motor back. so far i'm close, but not there yet.
the motor i swapped out from the origanal is a twelve horse Briggs with a broken throttle plate. it is either at ideal, or full on. the way i controled it when it was on my last mower was by choking it.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post a pic of that puppy!

Be cool for us to watch the transformation....... Maybe get a sneak peek before Hot Rod gets ahold of you.....:smile:

BTW, you do know you did the "furry" thing again, right?

Murry Furry

Threads
ya, you didn't catch me in time. i like to soup things up, but the car world is to busy. i need a area to make my own. one day i will beat the land speed record for a riding mower. Which stands above 96 mph. i want to do 100, or better.:licking:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
So,which pic is current? The one where is blue, or the black version with the cab?

Murry Furry

Threads
the cab is the most current. when i got it was green with bits of red from were my cousin started to paint it. at the time i was gearing up i got it. my grandfater(mom's dad) had a stroke. so me and my friend made a deal with him. we would take his scrap, and sort it. and we would give him half, and we would split the other amongst ourselfs. we needed it because the MTD mower i was using to run Quality Lawn Care, and Mikes Snow Removel died. its frame gave out, and its drive system was all screwed up. so we needed a mower. when we went out there to start at it we found my now good friend Murray. he had sat five years sense my cousin had got mad, and dumped it into the pond out there. my grandfather pulled it out a month after he dumped it. and sat there for that five years. we had to take each peace and oil it. we replaced the points, and coil. we then got it running and by mid april we got her painted, she was ready to go. then the diaphram gave out. we ordered a new one, and got it at the begining of may. then we used it to mower every yard it could. we were always doing repairs. it would be either before, after, or during. but we were never down longer than fourty mintues. but the mower only had so much left of the motor, and by mid july the motor was on the out. then by the begining of august couldn't power it's self and the deck to mowe. so i made the desision that i would retire the poor old dear to being my pet project. then a ass by the named of Ben Brower signed me up for the home coming parade a week before. not 7 days, 5. and instead of backing down i made the best damb float i could conger up. the theme for the home coming was nightmares, so thats what i made. you can't see the back, but it says, " No Mower Nightmares".