Murary Tractor Briggs won't stay running.

goofy173

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Murray model 38608x12c with a 12 hp Briggs 2281707-0415-01 engine dies soon after start. It started doing this about 20 months ago but I had moved and didn't really need a tractor so I stored it until now.

It starts fine, but then fuel seems to flow back into the carb from that other tube coming into the carb from the engine. Not even sure what that tube is. When that fuel comes rushing back, it floods the carb and the engine shuts down. I was told the carb needed rebuilt. I bought the kit and a machinist that I work with that does this, did it for me. I put it back on yesterday and the same exact problem happens.

I can do engine repair, but I'm a shadetree "auto" mechanic, so I am not so good on small engines, especially why this is happening.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First make sure that the oil isn't overfilled and smells like gas. If it does than drain and refill with oil. I have seen carbs have a repeat failure of fuel leaks because a new piece of dirt will get stuck under the needle valve and leak fuel again.

goofy173

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Murray Tractor Briggs won't stay running.

I think I jumped the gun. Its running fine now. I put a new ignition switch in just now because yesterday it wouldn't turn over and I had 12v to the switch, so I just shorted across the solenoid to start it. So now with a switch it was much easier to start it and if needed, start it again as I played with the carb settings.

I adjusted the needle valve that is on the bottom of the fuel bowl to get it to run better. Then the engine needed to blow out a lot of oil and once the smoke cleared, it seems to be doing good.