Mulching kit won't fit AARRGGHH!!!

turbofiat124

Threads
Dad bought a John Deere D170 with a 54" deck , tri-blade from Lowes the other day.

So he asked if I could install a mulching kit on it. Sure, shouldn't take but 5 minutes. WRONG!

So after 2 to 3 hours we gave up on it.

First issue: This kit comes with a metal guard or something that fits underneath the deck and has two mounting tabs. One in the front and one on the discharge side. No matter how much finagling, we can't get the mounts to line up with the holes. Put one bolt in and the other one won't line up with the hole in the deck and vice versa. It almost fits but not quite. We tried pushing on the guard at the discharge chute trying to force it into place but that doesn't work either.

Second it appears the center blade hits this guard. Unless it's because it's just not mounted correctly.

Third this thing has these squeegee like pieces that are supposed to mount to the front of the deck but there doesn't appear to be any holes for them.

The box says this kit is supposed to fit both 48" and 54" decks but I'm starting think Lowes sold him the wrong kit for the wrong mower. I can't find a part number for this kit. All it says is "TriCycler".

What's up with that?

Ariena

Threads
I had the same problem. I was so frustrated, I took mine to the dealer. My deck was bent out of shape. I hit a stump when I first got the ZTR, and it warped the deck. Check your deck. Make sure it has the original shape.
Good luck!

turbofiat124

Threads
I had the same problem. I was so frustrated, I took mine to the dealer. My deck was bent out of shape. I hit a stump when I first got the ZTR, and it warped the deck. Check your deck. Make sure it has the original shape.
Good luck!

Dad has only had the mower a couple of days.

The deck doesn't look warped but the concour of the piece that goes underneath the deck doesn't seem to the fit the contour of the undeside of the deck at the discharge chute. If that makes sense.

I could take a cutting disc and notch the piece out and make it fit but if I do that I know they won't take it back then.

Still not sure if I even do that the blade still won't hit the guard. Or whatever it's called.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model number of the tractor and deck. Does the sales recipt have a number on it for the mulch kit. I'll try to cross check to see if I can find apart number for the deck tonight if I get some numbers. Busy Thursday and Friday.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
kit should be a Deere BG20304

I have a PDF of the instructions if you need it, shoot me your email

Joe