Muffler Options for Toro Walk Behind?

bravenrace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there. I'm new here, and hope you can help me. I have an older Toro ProLine 52 mower. The muffler needs replaced and the OEM part is about $280. It has a Kohler MV-16 engine. I would like to find a less expensive alternative to the OEM muffler. The exhaust flanges at the engine have socket head capscrews and they are so rusted that trying to turn them just strips the hex out. The pipes coming off each cylinder are pretty solid, so I've considered cutting the muffler off and buying two smaller and cheaper mufflers and attaching them to the existing pipe, but I'm concerned about noise and whether or not they will be quiet enough.
Has anyone done something similar? And if so, do the smaller mufflers muffle as well as the old single muffler? Anyone have any suggestions? The mower isn't worth putting $300 into a muffler, but I do need to keep it.
Thanks,
Jim

This is the current muffler. I would attach two new mufflers, one to each straight section of pipe coming off the engine.

IMG_3924.jpg

Here's an example of the type of muffler I was thinking about using:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190491674261&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

CajunCub

Threads
That would be loud as hell:laughing:, You can find a better one than that....I'll look for you, get back to you soon.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The exhaust flanges at the engine have socket head capscrews and they are so rusted that trying to turn them just strips the hex out.

... I'm concerned about noise and whether or not they will be quiet enough.

Jim, I agree with CajunCub... Dual small mufflers would be VERY loud...
Remove the old one and weld it back up.
If you are using a socket to try removing the bolts... Don't use a 12 point ... use a 6 point instead...
use a lot of PB blaster and tap on the heads of the bolts ... they will come out...
$300 for a small engine muffler is ridiculous ... you can get a large CAR muffler for less than that... :smile:KennyV

BTW... WELCOME to the FORUM... and thanks for the BIG picture of your problem... I think that is a weldable deal...

bravenrace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. The metal that's left on the muffler isn't weldable, I've already tried and I just blow holes in it.
I know I can get the bolts out one way or another, but I've really got too many other things to do than spend the kind of time on it that would be necessary. I really need something I can clamp or weld onto the tubes coming off the engine, or a non-welding solution to reattaching the end of the muffler. Anything that's made for the engine costs almost as much as tht mower is worth. If you have any other ideas, please voice them here. Thanks again!

bravenrace

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a question about the muffler I posted the picture of in my first post. I don't doubt you guys, but that muffler is rated for up to a 16hp engine. I'm proposing using two of them, so theoretically each only has to handle 8hp. Have you guys actually tried using this type of muffler on a similar engine? I'm just wondering why they'd rate it for that much hp if it can't quiet it. This muffler is OEM on some B&S engines, or at least it says that on the package. Again, not doubting, just making sure I undertand.
Other that this, right now I'm leaning towards making a sheetmetal cap to go over the exisiting muffler, and attaching it with rivets and using muffler sealant between the muffler and the cap to seal it. It would look like a cutoff coffee can and would extend back to just before the right cylinder exhaust outlet. What do you think of that fix? Its a little half backed or what I wanted to do, but I need this mower right now and don't have a lot of time to repair it.

CajunCub

Threads
It's is a very old designed muffler, it is basically an emply cone. It has NO back pressure, as is needed by a twin cylinder. Sure it will screw/bolt on and sure it was designed for that HP range....on a single cylinder from 25 years ago. You can do it, it will work, but it will be hard on the exhaust valves, be VERY hot & Loud as hell. If I were you...I'd just go to a muffler shop and get a muffler man to build you a homemade version of something that would work better....But, hey go with what you got. Good Luck!:wink: