MTD Yardwork mower kick back , is flywheel key damaged ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / MTD Yardwork mower kick back , is flywheel key damaged ?
Carefully measure the shaft as it could be US or metric
The metrics are slightly different sizes so forcing them onto a shaft that is slightly bigger will weaken them.
Most quality blade holders are a steel fabrication
Cast ones are substantially weaker

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Little duct tape and she's like new again.

slomo

fritz1255

Threads
I just discovered this thread. I had the same thing happen on my mower. Broke two adapter bushings. Everyone told me that I was crazy, couldn't possibly be seeing what I was seeing. Each time it happened the flywheel shear pin was broken as well. The blade did NOT hit anything, whatever was happening was internal to the engine. I also couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the engine. What I ended up doing was polishing the end of the crankshaft and the internal part of the flywheel, then torquing the heck out of the nut on the flywheel when I reinstalled it. That was two years ago, and it's been running ever since. I don't know if it's the same issue, but it feels better to know that I'm not alone!

naimc

Threads
I just discovered this thread. I had the same thing happen on my mower. Broke two adapter bushings. Everyone told me that I was crazy, couldn't possibly be seeing what I was seeing. Each time it happened the flywheel shear pin was broken as well. The blade did NOT hit anything, whatever was happening was internal to the engine. I also couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the engine. What I ended up doing was polishing the end of the crankshaft and the internal part of the flywheel, then torquing the heck out of the nut on the flywheel when I reinstalled it. That was two years ago, and it's been running ever since. I don't know if it's the same issue, but it feels better to know that I'm not alone!
Interesting, the blade adapters are fragile !

In my case I was the cause of my misfortunes, 1st I put the blade on with an impact gun set on the highest torque setting, I should never had used the beast of tool. I broke two adapter on the same day. ( other mower) Yes is used a proper torque wrench after.
3rQM6Ofm.png

I 1st bald adapter I got was a part purchase on Amazon that come in a MDT packaging. I found a local store which sold me a similar part, new part on the bottom , it does not have the PS mark on the "powder pressings".

bt369I6h.png

top view of the new part :, it's got rust but looks like the same "powder pressing". ( I now realize this new parts of made to break on stress so the crank is saved. )
1GIjKYZh.png

I re-installed the blade on the original body this Yardworks mower came with. This was the 1st time in over 1 year I had the all the original parts together.

guRl2xMh.png

I was able to cut some grass. I have lifted the curse on this mower. Its going back to my brother.

jsgunzNh.png

Fascinating how it took me over 1 year to get fix this, in retrospect it should not have taken more than 30 minutes !

I have learned a few important things : always a good idea to test a mower with the original parts, motor body combo and use a torque wrench not an impact gun.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to be a PIA.
They are not castings they are powder pressings

naimc

Threads
Just to be a PIA.
They are not castings they are powder pressings
Thank you for pressions on the term nothing worse than ignorance. Interesting "powder pressing" the term and process does inspire confidence.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for pressions on the term nothing worse than ignorance. Interesting "powder pressing" the term and process does inspire confidence.
If you don't like powder pressing then go with sintered or frittage Sounds way cooler.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Castings used to be the cheapest way to shape metal .
However since the 80's when Manganese Bronze Holdings sold off the rights to powder pressing powders, and processing equipment that the had acquired from BSA who got them as war reperatons from Germany, powder pressing technology has gone leaps & bounds.
If people actually knew just how many things like gears that ar made from powder pressings they would either be amazed or terrified to cross the road .