MTD Yard Machines drive belt

zike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having trouble with the drive belt. It keeps wanting to come off the pulley. I have replaced the tension idler pulley, springs and belt. Ant ideas.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
We need to know a lot more. Like model number off of tag under the seat. If it has 2 belts on the drive {likely}, is it the front or rear that comes off?

zike

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model number is Yard Machines 13AH660F352 (2000 model). It is the rear belt that comes off. When you put it in gear and let off the clutch that is when the belt comes off.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing always replace both drive belts.

On the rearend pulley there should be two belt guides. Flat bent into a V shape they should almost be touching the pulley.

Make sure all the pulleys are in line with each other and not bent.

Make sure you use a MTD belt. A cheap belt will not sit in the pulley grove and try and pop off.

Should also be guides on both idler pulleys.

Check rear pulley for wobble.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also make sure the tranny support bracket is attached to the tranny. If the bolts are missing, it will allow the tranny to rock, and throw the belt off. Will also cause frame cracking above the axles. L ook at where the axles mount to the frame, and see if it is cracking the frame flange above the axles.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also make sure the tranny support bracket is attached to the tranny. If the bolts are missing, it will allow the tranny to rock, and throw the belt off. Will also cause frame cracking above the axles. L ook at where the axles mount to the frame, and see if it is cracking the frame flange above the axles.

Good point I forgot about this.
Have had it happen on a craftsman.

Thank you for the reminder.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))