MTD Tecumseh Engine Snow Blower Starter

Jacksgirl75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, need advice. Have a MTD Tecumseh Snowblower that has an electric start that won't turn over. When I push the button the engine makes a noise and keeps making the noise as long as I hold the button down, but doesn't turn over. I always run the gas out or use Stabil at the end of the year. Had a repair place tell me it needed a new starter on the engine itself, does this sound right. I know nothing about power equipment, HELP, A MOM IN OHIO WITH A BUNCH OF SNOW. The repair guy says the starter for the Tecumseh engine is $200, or that he might be able to rebuild it or maybe it is just an 0 ring in front of the starter. Think he is being honest or should I just start shoveling.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Will the engine turnover when using the starter rope? $200 for new starter is about right price.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What are the model numbers off the engine? I can sell you a used one

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably the bendix gear on the starter. This can be replaced for less than $75 including labor at a good shop. The price of a new starter would range from $125-$175. Personally I think he is quoting a little high.

sranger941

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although not sure of the model snow blower and starter, i had a similar problem a few years ago. assuming the starter gets power and spins, you may want to remove the starter and check that the gear on the open end of the starter moves back and forth freely. There is a spring behind the gear that that along with the gear could become stuck. i used some wd40 and sprayed the shaft of the gear and then moved the gear back and sprayed more wd40 and made sure gear moved freely. Problem solved and has been good ever since.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You asking for model numbers?????

No I was asking for you.
Just trying to save you some time.

Just wanted to make sure I had the right starter.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just giving you a Christmas Goose!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Snowblower starters are 120 volt AC, you have any down there in Ga.?

briggs

Threads
is that 200 installed if so thats not to bad