MTD T380M Rotavator

villyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My rotavator runs for about ten minutes and then starts to misfire and then cuts out.

I am finding the spark plug oily and coked. After a scrape and brush with the wire brush the machine will start again first time and run again for another ten minutes before the spark plug needs cleaning again.

Any suggestions please

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

What is your oil level ?
What oil are you using?

That engine will get bounced around a lot and the oil can really get tossed around in it... Be sure it is Not over full ... :smile:KennyV

villyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The oil is 10w30 and the level is middle to low, so surplus oil is not the problem. It does smoke quite a bit on start up with the choke on but that clears quickly when the choke is turned off and it does occasionally smoke for a few seconds before it cuts off. The machine is about 3 year old.

I did top up the oil to the correct level about a month ago so it is burning oil.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your oil rings could be stuck, ...
Switch the oil over to a good Diesel rated multiviscosity or better yet a diesel rated Synthetic multi vis motor oil... If your lucky, and the problem is goobered up oil rings, that should clean them up...
If your leaking around a valve guide that wont help much.. But a good synthetic will burn cleaner and won't foul your spark plug as bad... :smile:KennyV

villyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changed oil and cleaned plugs again. Still cut out after ten minutes on 3 occasions but on the last run it went for twice that time and it is not smoking as much.

Still oiling up but not as bad as it was. Will not be running again for a week so will update after that.

Thanks Kenny

Regards

Willie

Last edited:

villyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick update:

Due to a forecast of impending torrential rain, I decided to give the vines another go with the rotavator.

Smoked a bit on start-up but ran for 90 minutes more or less without a hitch but on a slight incline under pressure, it did smoke for a few seconds until the ground levelled out again.

Tried ordering new set of piston rings from MTD but no joy despite the machine only 3 years old. They want me to purchase the complete assembly of cylinder/piston/rings etc at 50% of the cost of the complete machine? No Chance. I will run now until it goes bang and then buy new from a "Good Manufacturer" with a more reasonable parts backup service.:mad: