MTD (Murray) 30" Rear Engine - Stubborn Blade Nut

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A couple of days ago, this guy needed someone to take off one nut/bolt from a 5th wheel hook up he was selling. I went all the way up to the 3/4" air impact and it still wouldn't budge. So I cut it off with the cutting wheel. After soaking it in something all night, the next day, I had the bolt on the vice with a breakover and it still wouldn't budge.
Here is some good questions about your setup. What size and length of the air lines plus also are you using hi flow couplers and adapters? When I first got my Air Cat it wouldn't even remove a nut tighten to only 50 ft-lbs. I installed a pressure gauge at the impact and found that the line pressure was dropping to less than 20 psi even when the standing pressure was 125 psi. At the time I had M style couplers and adapters installed in the line with one at the compressor so I move it out the way when I need access to it for repairs. Once I upgrade to V style high flow adapters and couplers the I regain nearly full pressure at the impact even on a 100 ft run of 3/8 air line.

So if your line pressure at the impact drops a lot even a 3/4 impact will not work at it best power if can't the pressure and CFM it needs.

The darn Campbell Hausfeld impact never worked right that I got from Wal-mart so I just gave it away.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
1597161474184.jpg1597161474467.jpg
Like star says. Couplers make a huge difference. 150PSI doesn't hurt either. I backed it of from 175 because it was blowing seals out of tools.

Mower King

Threads
Everyone has all these BIG OLE 1/2 " 3/4" air impact stories.....your air impact is only as stout as the Air PSI you put through it!
Looks like HammerM has got some PSI.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everyone has all these BIG OLE 1/2 " 3/4" air impact stories.....your air impact is only as stout as the Air PSI you put through it!
Looks like HammerM has got some PSI.

Considering his "hammer" name, I'd say he's cheating. lol