mtd model#995 16hp twin cyl hydrostatic tractor. transmission seems to be slipping.

jhljohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / mtd model#995 16hp twin cyl hydrostatic tractor. transmission seems to be slipping.
this tractor, is approx. 1975 mtd model#995 16 cyl. twin briggs, hydrostatic transmission. the transmission seems to be slipping in either forward or reverse.the trans. fluid was cle an. I drained and changed fluid and filter. still slipping, no change. I also did a neutral adjustment for the hydrostatic control lever. still nada. If anyone has any ideas or information I would greatly appreciate it. My friends tell me it is probably worn out. I will be in touch with this site on other lawn tractors and mowers. I also have a 1976 MF 14 in great condition, but the Kohler eng. blew a piston. Also a MF 10 with a belt drive hydro. trans. with a delco combination gen. and starter. Good yard tractor, no deck. Also an early 1960 62, Ford steel seat 24 in. cut ride on. Blue and white. Reminds me of mower in Forest Gump movie.A project for another day or sell.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / mtd model#995 16hp twin cyl hydrostatic tractor. transmission seems to be slipping.
Please post the tractors model number so we can see exactly what you are talking about. When was the last time you replaced the drive belt and checked the idler pulley travel?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rivets, I believe this mower is the shaft drive unit with the hydro/pump unit mounted on a differential type tranny with hydraulic deck lift. Will need additional information for the OP to narrow down the problem though.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was assuming the this unit had a horizontally mounted engine with a short belt mounted right behind the engine which powered the drive shaft to the hydro. As you said we need more info. To the OP, did you use the correct weight fluid? Again for the unit I was thinking about, it calls for a 20 weight oil.