MTD Minirider Cuts Out

Leon50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

New to the group

I have a MTD mini rider ES ride on mower which we’ve owned for about 5 years, It’s been pretty flawless since I have had it. A weird thing started to happen with the mower the other day. I was using the mower and selected reverse whilst sat on mower and the blades were disengaged and the mower cut out. I did manage to restart it, ran it as normal, cutting grass but when I engaged the parking brake and jumped off the seat to empty the grass box it cut out again.
Now, I can only start it with the seat safety switch pushed in but will cut out when reversing?
I think it is a safety switch issue but with electrics not being my thing have any of you experienced a similar issue?
Or, is it a ground wire issue?
Many thanks in advance.

Born2Mow

Threads
The safety interlocks typically don't act alone. The seat switch is typically in series with the PTO and blade engagement switch. In this way you can't get off the seat when the blade is engaged. I highly suggest you...
• Get a electrical schematic for your machine.
• Use an Ohmmeter to test (repeatedly) each of the switches after disconnecting one (1) of the attached leads.

After 5 years any of those switches could become intermittent.... especially if you occasionally wash the mower.

Leon50

Forum Newbie
Threads
The safety interlocks typically don't act alone. The seat switch is typically in series with the PTO and blade engagement switch. In this way you can't get off the seat when the blade is engaged. I highly suggest you...
• Get a electrical schematic for your machine.
• Use an Ohmmeter to test (repeatedly) each of the switches after disconnecting one (1) of the attached leads.

After 5 years any of those switches could become intermittent.... especially if you occasionally wash the mower.
Thanks Born2mow, I think I have a wiring diagram for my particular mower, I also have a multimeter but like I said previously electrics is not my thing.
As you have suggested I will drop the switches and see if they are ‘switching’,
Thanks again Born.