MTD Cub Cadet 42 inch belt size?

Homefield

Threads
I have an MTD Cub Cadet HDS 2165 with a 42 inch 2 blade deck. The machine model number is 13A-265G603. I require a new deck belt, I have approached two MTD parts suppliers and both have said that according to MTD Cub Cadet the belt should be a 754-3073 belt (62.10 inch) but this is too big the idler hits the housing when in operation when belt tensioned. I think that that belt is for a three blade deck and not a 2 blade. Can anyone help on belt size or even a part number. The machine was made by MTD, Saarbruecken, Germany

MTD deck.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A tricky deck those , as the single spring tensions both the deck belt & the PTO belt.
What I do not see is the latch for the tension arm.
So could you lock the arm in the mow position so we can see where the idler is touching and post that photo.
There are a few variations of the 42" deck but they all use the 754-3073 belt
The idler arm should be free to swing and is pulled back by a 6" spring that goes from the end of the arm to a hole just in front of the right hand hanger which appears to be missing in your photo.
A bit hard to tell from your photo but if that is the spring just in front of the drive pulley, move in back to the hole in the assembly mounting plate.
And I forgot to mention the 62,2" is a USA measurement which is the outside length not the European inside measurement which would be 60,2"

Last edited:

Homefield

Threads
Update. I have relocated the spring anchor point to the point just in front of the deck suspension point (where the pen is pointing to, in one of my earlier posts). There was a hole in the top plate but not through the deck. So I drilled a through hole and installed a bolt. I spent about 1hr mowing and there was no slip and all worked well even in longish grass.
So thank you very much for all you time and opinions on the issue which seems to have cured the issue it seems the belt just required slightly more tension which is what relocating the spring achieved. I shall now continue to monitor this site to see if I can be of any assistance to other MTD Cub Cadet users. Thank you again