MTD Craftsman LT2000 drive belt replacement

goosemasterkl

Threads
Can someone give me some advice on how to put a drive belt on a MTD Craftsman LT2000 46" cut mower? The variable speed pulley is sitting right back against the back frame of the body of the mower and there's no way to get the old belt off to even try to put a new one on. I've changed many drive belts in the past on several different brands of mowers but I've never come across one like this. Can someone please advise me on the procedure I need to do? Thanks in advance on any replies. The model# is 247.288852

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You must remove three screws [Items 11] and then the you should be able to tilt the variable speed pulley. Note the bearing cap [item 12] may come off as well.
1648117990693.png
Also check the bearings while you at it and if they need replacing they are 6203-2RS bearings. Mtd want nearly 17 usd a piece but aftermarket bearings are a lot cheaper.

goosemasterkl

Threads
You must remove three screws [Items 11] and then the you should be able to tilt the variable speed pulley. Note the bearing cap [item 12] may come off as well.
View attachment 59854
Also check the bearings while you at it and if they need replacing they are 6203-2RS bearings. Mtd want nearly 17 usd a piece but aftermarket bearings are a lot cheaper.
Thanks so much on your reply. I was thinking about taking those screws out but didn't. I haven't come up with many ideas. But again thanks for your response.

goosemasterkl

Threads
Thanks so much on your reply. I was thinking about taking those screws out but didn't. I haven't come up with many ideas. But again thanks for your response.
Do you also have to remove #10 in the diagram. The bolt that holds the pulley to the bracket?