Repairs MTD 504 transaxle half-shaft acceptable play?

Blighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can I be cheeky and ask a technical question or two please?
My mechanical experience doesn`t lie in ride-on mowers, so have no idea how much end-float and lateral play is acceptable in the half-shafts of a transaxle.It is currently out of the mower and worked fine but there seems to be a lot of play in the aforementioned components.Is this normal?
It`s covered in old oil but this may have previously dripped down from the engine.How easy are they to test out of the mower and is it true that they can be topped up if low on oil....a mower mechanic I spoke with years ago claimed to have done this...if my memory serves me right.
I removed the bolts at end of half-shafts and they smell of hypoid gear oil...what grade do they run on please?
It`s the free-play in the half-shafts which is my main concern.
Thanks in anticipation for any advice
Regards
Blighty

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am sorry to say this, but I am an old wrench monkey with 30+ years of experience, I have no idea what you are talking about. By half shafts, do you means split wheel axles coming from the differential. If so, do you have a Dana, Spicer, or Peerless tranny. What is the model number of the unit and or tranny. I would be glad to help if I knew what you are working on. Remember, I can't see what you are talking about and due to the recent cold snap my ESP is blurry. Please post a little more info to help us help you.

Blighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks for the reply Rivets.

Have found a white sticker on the diff which has Model 618-0075 on it,but yet to clean axle of grime to locate any markings hinting at a make.

Yes,by half-shafts I mean the drive-shafts exiting the alloy axle body from either side of the diff,on which the wheels attach.I learned a little American from a mate who had a fishing boat in CA in the late `60`s-early `70`s.I rebuilt his cars for him here in the UK during the late `80`s-mid `90`s and learnt a few good words but still have many more to grasp.I will try and remember "split wheel axle":thumbsup:

Regards
Blighty

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you give me the tractors model number. I am trying to find you a repair manual. I have found that your tranny is manufactured by Hydro-Gear supersedes from a 618-0075 to a 918-0165A, but I am looking for a cross reference chart for the Hydro-Gear number.

Blighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks.

Just given the axle a bit of a clean-up and under the top pulley is embossed .....

MTD
719-0314
U.S.PAT.4.671.680

Then nipped down the garden with a torch to find the mower details....

Model
MOD 13504A
133A560C611

MFG Code
1J302G50042

Cheers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Blighty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets,that last link looks like my old rear-engined model.Will go through the manuals tomorrow and see if they mention how much end-float and up&down movement is acceptable on the drive-shafts in these axles.