MTD 25A-253N401 22" string trimmer wheels

Verault

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I broke 3 of the spokes on one of my MTD timmers 14" wheels. The manual calls for part number 734-1860 but I found a replacement part number 205-512 is compatible. These wheels are showing up for about $40.00 each on average! Thats pricey for just one wheel on an early 90s machine. Anyone have a source on a cheaper wheel?

Verault

Forum Newbie
Threads
Geeze was it something I said? I opened 3 different posts since I signed up, even made a "Hello" under the New members area and with more than 500 views between them all I only got 2 replies?

Well whatever, for anyone having the same issue with the 22" String Trimmer I found a solution. There is a Generic Wheel on Amazon:
Half the price of the OEM wheel. Its Grey not yellow (I dont care) and the wheel is a tad bit more narrow but other than that its a good match. I am happy just running the one because its a utility machine and its going to be in some rough areas. I will replace the second wheel only if it too breaks some spokes.

the new wheel came with two bearings as well. I kept the original ones as they were still sealed and working well just in case the new ones turn out to be cheap and terrible.

Hopefully this can help anyone out in a Jam with the same series of trimmer.

IMG_20220605_173820.jpgIMG_20220605_173827.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The second item in the forum navigation bar is "unread posts" and the bulk of the regular particpants use it to see what was new since the last visit
Most read all of them
Then if they know they will answer
We don't do big wheel mowers down here so no answer from me
The aftermarket parts companies like Oregon, Rotary, Stens & Prime Line all have on line catalogues and all have a dealer finder on their web page.
However they don't show prices because he dealer determines that
205-512 is a Stens number so it might be cheaper from a repair shop as there is no postage when you pick up .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The second item in the forum navigation bar is "unread posts" and the bulk of the regular particpants use it to see what was new since the last visit
Most read all of them
Then if they know they will answer
We don't do big wheel mowers down here so no answer from me
The aftermarket parts companies like Oregon, Rotary, Stens & Prime Line all have on line catalogues and all have a dealer finder on their web page.
However they don't show prices because he dealer determines that
205-512 is a Stens number so it might be cheaper from a repair shop as there is no postage when you pick up .
I wouldn't bet on that as my cost is $28 plus shipping from Stens and of course I need to make a small profit on the item.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't reply cause I would have just paid $40 and saved the time. Not near any mower pick and pulls here, but if someone is, probably that would have been the least $ costly way to go with a used pick and pull one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What a lot of folks don't think about is that the local shops needs local support. Buying things online is great but it don't support the local community. Personally I do need the business to stay in business when the harder items comes in as overhead can be a killer at times. The local community here is finally realizing that this and have become supportive for my business as they are finding to I just tell things straight and don't try to con them as many of the other shops in my area do.

Now I do buy a lot things online but they are just part doing business as the items are for resale and I do collect and pay local sales taxes which is also something that online businesses don't do as far as paying these locally.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
What a lot of folks don't think about is that the local shops needs local support. Buying things online is great but it don't support the local community. Personally I do need the business to stay in business when the harder items comes in as overhead can be a killer at times. The local community here is finally realizing that this and have become supportive for my business as they are finding to I just tell things straight and don't try to con them as many of the other shops in my area do.

Now I do buy a lot things online but they are just part doing business as the items are for resale and I do collect and pay local sales taxes which is also something that online businesses don't do as far as paying these locally.
actually I do think about that all the time. Buying something local helps ones neighbors although not everyone feels that way. In fact a guy might have an old mower outback he is parting that has the right size wheel on it. Everyone wins.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I took over the repair run it was a it of a struggle
The previous owner had lived here for 30 years his kids livd here he drank at both of the local bars so every one knew him

I lived 40km away then landlord had only been here of 10 years & I could not errect a sign because I am mobile & officially the shop is the repair depot for the farm.
What turned things around for me was giving away gift certificates to the local schools & volunteer fire stations all of which run raffels, bingo etc to raise community funds .
I do buy essentials locally so the local shops see my face weekly
The small shops a bit further away have a pie shop that makes the best Steak & kidney pie in Australia so now I don't even have to order .
Unfortunately getting locals to come here first for parts has been a long battle which is still way behind where it should be.
Even funnier they drive past here , go into town Saturday morning to be told that the shop does not have one and will not be able to get it in till next week but Burt might have one as he keeps a big inventory then they drive 20 km back here to find that most times I do actually have it in stock.
The down side is the next time they want something, they do the same thing because it is ingrained to go into town .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, Every place has what seems to be weird rules. Basically they are called zoning regs. At least where I am there is very little in these other than restrictions on property use. I was closer the city it would be more restrictive. Some residential areas even got their set of rules that get enforced by the home associations. Otherwords others are telling you how to maintain your property and how you are to run your business to their profit.

Now with fuel prices more doubling since two years ago. It is finally changing people habits as they are becoming more aware of how money and time wasted is by going the shops 20-30 miles away here. This year I have been selling a lot more in parts over the so called counter. (basically parts sales without equipment in the shop being repaired) It is when those customer realize sometimes it can be cheaper just let me do the repairs as throwing parts at a repair can get costly. I had one customer to spend over $300 on electrical parts that he brought from one those shops. He decided to ask about what was the problem and I suggested he bring in the mower. It turn out to be a fifty cent wire terminal. Now of course tried to get me to make him whole again by buying the used parts which I can't do as I have no idea if they are good or not. It just one of those things about electrical parts that you just don't know if they the one that was on the mower or off another broken unit. I might would help some if I had sold them but I didn't sell them.

As for most my new customers, it is two things that I prefer to do. One is my sign and the other is referrals by my current customers. Referrals is the best for me as those new customers are usually serious about getting thing repaired. I tried advertising in the local paper but all that did was to bring in the pests. Otherwords those that was so cheap they squeaked when they walked and some just called to harass me with totally off the wall problems unrelated to what I am doing.

Now this year has been a pain getting parts and that is putting a heavy drain on the bank account. Those costs are soaring now with all increases in prices. At i can offset it some as I got a fairly good inventory of parts on hand. But replacing parts sold is costing a lot more now. Really got to pay attention to costs now as some vendors have gone bonkers on charging extra shipping cost now. I would think that I am not alone in this.

I currently having to put reserves into the account just keep up the purchases but things will start smoothing out as I complete the repairs then I put the reserve back in the savings account.. Just a little as personally I having a lot failures around the home this year too. Like everything things seems to break in batches. My latest failures this last week was the printer broke down and when I when to go grocery shopping my truck mirror fell apart at least I caught it before the mirror it self broke hitting the driveway. Just didn't think about how much I used that RH mirror until it was gone.:p Oh well time for a set of mirrors as the truck is 22 yrs old and they are plastic so I got an idea all the vehicles out there probably has the same problems with the plastic failing. At least the after market ones are not too expensive unlike the hot water heater and well tank.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would consider a mailer to all the licensed gardeners in the area with a plastic business card keychain in the mailer shaped like a mower with your logo and contact info on it. If there is a county fair where there are mower and tractor dealers, might consider a booth where the small keychains with your logo and address printed on them are passed out. You could also pay someone on a contract basis to write down addresses when they see someone mowing, and mail a key chain to them too. Pay them 25 cents a name or something. Even if they only gave you 20 names a week they noticed, you could make a rule that they have to be new addresses. Then every once in a while grab a list they gave you and drive it to be sure they are real addresses with lawns that look mowed. Just thinking out loud here. Getting the name out is hard, even in this day and age. Internet presence helps. Adding the contact info for the business in threads like this helps too but just the city and state etc, county so you don't get hammered with SMS texts and e-mail spam. If someone here sees you are local they might contact you to get more info.