MTD 16354B0637 will not stop driving.

Crvbal49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please help. When I press my clutch pedal in the variable speed pulley doesn't slide forward enough to create enough slack in the lower drive belt. Any common causes for this? The only way to get the wheels to stop is being in neutral. The variable pulley works fine. Not frozen. Resizes just fine and allows all speeds. Belt is not new. Shortening the clutch linkage to pull further also does not help. And go! Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Zuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Obviously something is not right. My educated guess would be that either a bell crank is hanging up on something or perhaps you’re missing a spring someplace.
I don’t understand? In the beginning of your message you explain why it’s not stopping, Bc of the VSP. But further down you say that same VSP works great? I’ll need to refresh my memory to the setup.
What about a brake? Since you didn’t include a model number. It makes it difficult to know exactly what it is your talking about. My guess is you have a brake linkage problem.

Last edited:

Crvbal49

Forum Newbie
Threads
The VSP is functioning correctly when it is asked to drive the machine in forward in reverse. When the clutch is pressed in however the VSP should swing toward the front of the mower and create slack in the PTO VSP belt. It doesn't seem to move far enough forward or create enough slack. I found a video showcasing how far it should move and mine doesn't go that far. All springs are accounted for.

Crvbal49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Obviously something is not right. My educated guess would be that either a bell crank is hanging up on something or perhaps you’re missing a spring someplace.
I don’t understand? In the beginning of your message you explain why it’s not stopping, Bc of the VSP. But further down you say that same VSP works great? I’ll need to refresh my memory to the setup.
What about a brake? Since you didn’t include a model number. It makes it difficult to know exactly what it is your talking about. My guess is you have a brake linkage problem.
The PTO/crank pulley will always spin with the engine. But when this slack is created it should slip on the belt causing the VSP to stop spinning. Mine doesn't. It keeps spinning no matter what. Which will drive the wheels if I'm not in neutral. Sorry just wanted to add that so I'm clear.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the belt is OEM belt then it possible may have a bent drive pulley. I have seen this to happen when the double stack pulley have been removed and reinstalled or when a belt have been forced on due to a stuck pulley.. The bent area will catch just enough to keep the drive belt moving.

Crvbal49

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the belt is OEM belt then it possible may have a bent drive pulley. I have seen this to happen when the double stack pulley have been removed and reinstalled or when a belt have been forced on due to a stuck pulley.. The bent area will catch just enough to keep the drive belt moving.
The drive/crank pulley was bent and vibrated a little so I replaced it but the result is the same. Also I bought a new belt identical to the old belt just incase the age of the belt was a problem if it was worn. Also no change. The problem definety seems to be caused by the amount of forward travel of the VSP but the linkage from the VSP to the clutch is a solid bar so I'm not sure what would cause this. I appreciate the brain storming. Thanks again.

Crvbal49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fixed! The rear belt was either changed to the wrong belt size during the short time the mower was at my sister's house. It was too short not allowing enough slack for the VSP to slide forward enough even with the rear tensioner maxed out. Thanks for all the help.

Zuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Isn’t that something! I was beginning to wonder about you! lol