Mower won't pull start

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gee, the OP had one post and never came back is how I read this.

RetireeRon

Threads
Hello. I have a new Honda Model HRX217HYA with hydro drive and pull start. When trying to start with the throttle at FAST and blades disengaged, drive speed at zero, all as instructed, the engine kicks back. It is as if the engine pre ignites or back fires and pulls back on the pull rope so hard and quickly, I hurt my hand. I removed the spark plug and found it to be dry. The engine turns easily with the spark plug removed. This is the second time I have tried to use the mower. The first time was on April 21 when I received the mower and it started fine and mowed the lawn without issue. I changed nothing between that use and this attempted use. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Lyle (papazig)
I have the same mower that I bought new in 2016. I’ve experienced what you’re dealing with several times. Each time required a valve adjustment to get rid of the hard pull and severe kickback. IMO my mower is an absolute lemon due to the never ending repairs I’ve had to make.

gwtx

Threads
Some of the Honda "stuff" sure looks "chinesey" these days

Superzak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I joined here just to add a bit of information. So I purchased a “new” (returned) HRX217HYAA mower from one of those guys that gets pallets of Home Depot returns with the cam issue. It was a good price and I knew I could easily install a new cam to solve the compression release issue. Now parts are on back order however, I found that if you pull the cord with the blade engaged, the momentum of the blades will overcome the compression backlash and the mower easily starts. I’ll keep running this way until the part is readily available and fix it when it’s convenient. I hope this might help someone

Gord Baker

Threads
Great Hack. Likely the parts will never arrive. Well Done.

volt

Threads
I had same problem on a mower with kawasaki engine. Pulling rope very hard and nothing moved.
The problem was, fuel leaked into engine oil.