Mower won't pull start

papazig

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I have a new Honda Model HRX217HYA with hydro drive and pull start. When trying to start with the throttle at FAST and blades disengaged, drive speed at zero, all as instructed, the engine kicks back. It is as if the engine pre ignites or back fires and pulls back on the pull rope so hard and quickly, I hurt my hand. I removed the spark plug and found it to be dry. The engine turns easily with the spark plug removed. This is the second time I have tried to use the mower. The first time was on April 21 when I received the mower and it started fine and mowed the lawn without issue. I changed nothing between that use and this attempted use. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Lyle (papazig)

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nothing happened the first time you used it? Like hit an object? Did you buy it used? From a guy that works on mowers?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
As Fish was getting to, I would look at the flywheel key.

Wolfepack88

Threads
I think it's the cam/automatic compression release problem I have been reading about. Take a look at the RECENT 1 star reviews on the Honda Site.

Metallitubby

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it's the cam/automatic compression release problem I have been reading about. Take a look at the RECENT 1 star reviews on the Honda Site.

I am a model engineer for Honda Power Equipment. We are experiencing a high volume of HRX "K6" camshaft decompressor failures. I offer this information as a gesture of apology, but I am not here as an official representative of American Honda. I am a fellow lawn mower owner.

We are currently working through a supplier issue, but we are on top of getting replacement parts supply to rectify the situation along with a service bulletin. If anyone has any questions, you are more than welcome to contact me directly, but I am not here officially.

Wolfepack88

Threads
I am a model engineer for Honda Power Equipment. We are experiencing a high volume of HRX "K6" camshaft decompressor failures. I offer this information as a gesture of apology, but I am not here as an official representative of American Honda. I am a fellow lawn mower owner.

We are currently working through a supplier issue, but we are on top of getting replacement parts supply to rectify the situation along with a service bulletin. If anyone has any questions, you are more than welcome to contact me directly, but I am not here officially.

Understood and thank you for the info. I just want to have a shiny new HRX that works.

Metallitubby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Understood and thank you for the info. I just want to have a shiny new HRX that works.

We want you to do the same. Quality is very important to us/me, where we are doing whatever it takes to make you, the customer happy.

Wolfepack88

Threads
We want you to do the same. Quality is very important to us/me, where we are doing whatever it takes to make you, the customer happy.

How long do you think the parts backorder is gonna be? My dealer says its like trying to get blood from a stone.

Metallitubby

Forum Newbie
Threads
How long do you think the parts backorder is gonna be? My dealer says its like trying to get blood from a stone.

We have already started to receive them in small quantities. PM me and I can get your dealer a counter-measured cam.

Wolfepack88

Threads
We have already started to receive them in small quantities. PM me and I can get your dealer a counter-measured cam.

Thank you and I sent you the information in a conversation. I think that's how it works.