Mower won’t start easily

lacrosse_24

Threads
Working on a Briggs and Stratton engine model number 125K02-0658-E1

I replaced the carb, and fuel line, I can get it to start but man it’s a bear.
Attached is a photo,
I’d appreciate any advice on any adjustments I could
To get this thing to start easier?

Attachments

• 32F8DC8C-45A1-4878-AFAE-CB90E2D05BCB.jpeg
    32F8DC8C-45A1-4878-AFAE-CB90E2D05BCB.jpeg
    713.8 KB · Views: 34

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
photo not showing up. and by hard to start do you mean, it's hard to pull the rope, or you have to pull the rope multiple times?
this engine has 2 versions, a primer type carb and an autochoke system with no primer, which do you have?

lacrosse_24

Threads
photo not showing up. and by hard to start do you mean, it's hard to pull the rope, or you have to pull the rope multiple times?
this engine has 2 versions, a primer type carb and an autochoke system with no primer, which do you have?
This one has a primer. Rope is easy to pull it just takes a lot of pulls to get it to go. Photo should be showing up now?

Attachments

• 7063FF5C-262B-428D-A4C4-05D0A247E50C.jpeg
    7063FF5C-262B-428D-A4C4-05D0A247E50C.jpeg
    713.8 KB · Views: 9

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
sounds like the primer isn't working as it should be, this video was made by a member on here, might give you a bit of info on the primer system,
Whenever you press the primer, you should see gas shoot up from the main jet, which can be seen in your photo, the brass piece piece sticking up in the middle of the carb. Most quantums say to Prime it 3 times.

lacrosse_24

Threads
sounds like the primer isn't working as it should be, this video was made by a member on here, might give you a bit of info on the primer system,
Whenever you press the primer, you should see gas shoot up from the main jet, which can be seen in your photo, the brass piece piece sticking up in the middle of the carb. Most quantums say to Prime it 3 times.
I’ll look into that. This is a problem I’ve had before. New carb, just struggles to start and I don’t know why, there has to be some mistake I’m making consistently because this happens 30% of the time?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Another comon problem is the primer base (air box) where it bolts to the carb will warp over time and prevent the primer from functioning right. I usually put 2 gaskets there instead of 1 to fix it.
One time i did install a amazon carb on one, and it wouldn't prime, i removed it, cleaned it, cleaned out the hole the primer passage leads to, and it started priming.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I usually put a light smear of sealant on both sides of the gasket. I must be very light, so as to not block any of the passages.

lacrosse_24

Threads
I usually put a light smear of sealant on both sides of the gasket. I must be very light, so as to not block any of the passages.
What kind of sealant do you use?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just permatex gasket stuff.

schmerold

Forum Newbie
Threads
When my equipment gets old and slow to start, I use carburetor cleaner as starter fluid. It gets the job done and is better for the equipment than starter fluid.