Mower will not crank!

earlh123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a zero turn mower and when I cranked it up it ran for about a minute then the motor quit running. When trying to get the motor running again it would run for about 5 seconds and shut down. We changed the filter and took the carburetor off and cleaned it and the same thing it would run about 5 seconds and the motor would shut off. We put a new carburetor on and the motor still not run. We checked also to see if the fuel pump was working and it appeared to be pumping enough fuel. The motor will continue turn over but just will not run.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
More information please
Does nothing when you turn the key
makes a klumling sound when yout turn the key
Rotates 1.5 revolutions then stops
??????????????????????????
The forum is not the Wall St Journal classified adds section
You do not get charged by the word

Bertrrr

Threads
Not cranking is not the same as not starting you'll need to be more specific

Mow Joe

Threads
Not cranking is not the same as not starting you'll need to be more specific
Yes, "cranking" and "turn over" mean basically the same thing. It's what is happening before the engine starts. It's confusing when trying to help someone with a problem, but don't feel too bad, you're not the only one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a zero turn mower and when I cranked it up it ran for about a minute then the motor quit running. When trying to get the motor running again it would run for about 5 seconds and shut down. We changed the filter and took the carburetor off and cleaned it and the same thing it would run about 5 seconds and the motor would shut off. We put a new carburetor on and the motor still not run. We checked also to see if the fuel pump was working and it appeared to be pumping enough fuel. The motor will continue turn over but just will not run.
So on a mower fuel system, what is left to check? Most everyone hears the words, spark plug and air filter. Those are the first items changed on a mower for some reason.

You started from the wrong end of the mower to fix it. Should of started AT the fuel tank. Start from a/the known good. Progress towards the other end.

Like on a toaster for example. Is it plugged in?? Step number 1 right? Is the little guy plugged in and have power? Is that outlet good? Right??

Does it fire off on a flammable spray fluid of some kind?

earlh123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the help. The problem was a bad fuse.