Mower runs fine until I put a new air filter on, then it dies out. thoughts anyone?

Thomas57

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower runs fine until I put a new air filter on, then it dies out. thoughts anyone?
The parts diagram shows that this engine should have a choke that operated by position of the throttle cable. Not a primer, but since we don't know what the guy put on it, the carb that he installed may be jetted too rich for that engine and air filters cause some restriction resulting in a rich mixture if already running rich.

the mower still has the primer button on it. I can take a picture of the new carb if that helps, but is there any solution if running too rich?

Thomas57

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower runs fine until I put a new air filter on, then it dies out. thoughts anyone?
The parts diagram shows that this engine should have a choke that operated by position of the throttle cable. Not a primer, but since we don't know what the guy put on it, the carb that he installed may be jetted too rich for that engine and air filters cause some restriction resulting in a rich mixture if already running rich.

is there anyway to correct for the mixture?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

the mower still has the primer button on it. I can take a picture of the new carb if that helps, but is there any solution if running too rich?
Take a picture of the air filter housing with the primer bulb and also the carb. Both from the front and from the top so we can see the linkages and other controls.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IL you must be looking at a different IPL the one I get from Briggs show that a Primer, Choke, or Auto Choke carburetor was use on those 125K09 engines. On those the fuel bowl are aluminum therefore can not rust but can corrode thru in places from water.

So just randomly put a carburetor from another is a bad idea.

A couple things to check too are that intake tube has an o-ring on it between the carburetor and the intake tube. The thing is check the whole plastic intake tube for a crack. Plus when installing the new primer carburetor make it mates fully with the primer/air cleaner base. These are prone to warping from age, heat, and over-tightening.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
IL you must be looking at a different IPL the one I get from Briggs show that a Primer, Choke, or Auto Choke carburetor was use on those 125K09 engines. On those the fuel bowl are aluminum therefore can not rust but can corrode thru in places from water.

So just randomly put a carburetor from another is a bad idea.

A couple things to check too are that intake tube has an o-ring on it between the carburetor and the intake tube. The thing is check the whole plastic intake tube for a crack. Plus when installing the new primer carburetor make it mates fully with the primer/air cleaner base. These are prone to warping from age, heat, and over-tightening.
I may of typed in an incorrect number the first time I tried to look up the diagram. Looks like all three systems were used on the engine. Can't mix and match parts, So I suspect incorrect carb not working with the other components.