Mower not charging

wwg

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely 60" zeroturn that evidently is not charging. Just wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction to troubleshoot and hopefully locate the problem. I can charge the battery with a battery tender and run the mower, but after 2 or so hours mowing it will not crank back up. Yesterday I checked voltage across the battery terminals while it was running and got 13 volts. Mowed a little today and checked voltage again while it was running and had 12 volts. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can provide us with the make of the engine and model and serial numbers of the engine, we will be able to tell you how to test the charging system.

wwg

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you can provide us with the make of the engine and model and serial numbers of the engine, we will be able to tell you how to test the charging system.
Can't check for serial number right now (at work on nightshift), but I know it's a Kohler 7000 series 26hp

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That’s fine, give us all numbers off the black and silver tag.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Find the voltage regulator. Set you meter to AC. Start your engine and run at full throttle. Across the two mark AC terminals of the voltage regulator you should 28 VAC or more. Now switch you meter to DC. Ground the negative (black lead) to the frame. With the positive (red lead) check the DC terminal for 13-14.6 VDC. If the AC is not present you have a bad stator. If the AC is present and DC voltage is the same as the battery then the regulator is bad.

IF both are good then you have drain that is out pacing the charging system. Note: A partially short electric PTO can still operate but draw excessive current out pacing the charging system. In this the case, check the electric PTO coil resistance if below 1.7 ohms it is partially shorted and PTO clutch replacement is needed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure to also test by putting the red lead on the regulator and the black lead on the negative battery terminal and if you get voltage then either you have a bad ground on the regulator or not ground if close to 12 volts. The goal for this test is 0 volts. Could also try running a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the B+ terminal on the regulator and then check battery voltage with the engine running. I suspect this may be a hard test if it is located the same place as the courage twin which is tucked up under the left side of the engine mounted directly above and to the right of the oil filter on the bottom of the metal shield that the blower housing mounts to.

wwg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys for the troubleshooting suggestions. I'll try some of these tomorrow.